new bangaiis

PugsAndKitties
I got 2 bangaiI cardinals a day ago, how long before they should start eating? I'm giving them frozen mysis but Hiro (the male...I think) just eats it and spits it out, NagI (the female, I pretty sure) dosent even seem to notice it. My yellow watchman goby gone insane for the stuff!!!

Matt
They should feed soon. Try some other variety's of food.

-Matt

PugsAndKitties
the female died. I don't think it was the food though, maybe she had some kind of parasite...

Matt
Yes that is definetely a possibility.

Got any pictures of the bangaii's?

-Matt

PugsAndKitties
ill try to get pics. the survivor looks a little skinny to me, but I have nothing to compare him to and ive never had any saltwater fish other than the ones I have now(a goby and the bangaii). I'm a little more optimistic now. he finally ate, even though it was just one bite, its a start.

charzar-g
how is he now?

PugsAndKitties
He was eating like a little piranah...but he died yesterday. sigh, maybe I won't get more bangaiis, theyre really pretty but I think ill try my luck with something hardier. maybe some blue-tail damsels. if I get a pair (mated so they don't kill each other) will they harass my goby? and I hope to get a royal gramma and a coral beauty angel, will they be ok with damsels?

charzar-g
Awwh i'm sorry to hear that he died, but what someone always told me is to ask the shop to feed them so you can see them eat, I guess that advice came a little late now...but for next time
Also - I do'nt know the answers to your questions sorry. I'm pretty much a noob

cerianthus
Making sure that fish are eating before purchase is important but make sure it/they don't stuffed their face before being bagged as I have seen few fish die trying to regurgitate (someone correct my spelling if am wrong) or regurgitated in the bagged from stress of being chased and bagged (especially for long trip). One of the reasons why shipper fast their fish pror shipping.

As far as Bengaii, hard to say but very seldomly experienced a losses with any Cardinals. It would've been very expensive fish when it had $300 tag when first avail to hobby in either early or mid 90's.

One of things I learned and practiced was to isolate the newbies in clear homemade contraption for few days before releasing into tank so newbies and oldies can look at each other and get used to each other w/o any damages done to one another. This method yielded much higher survival rate when adding newbies to tankful of oldies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom