New Baby Rams Horn Snails, Help!!

watermelon46

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m going to leave all the snails in including the Assassin snail. I’m pretty sure they will clean out the baby snails at least, and possibly the bigger ones too. From what I’ve heard on this thread, they tend to go for the small ones.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The assassins cleaned out all the ramshorns from my tank. I found a few in one of my filters. I moved them to their own home. I feed them well so they are busy making more. I pull a few out every now and then and put them back in my big tank for the assassins.

You can feed the assassins with shrimp pellets or any other meat based fish food after all other snails are gone. They chow down on freeze dried blood worms as quickly as they do other snails.

My assassins have multiplied but not nearly as quickly as the ramshorns do.

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tjander said:
@mattgirl. You have succeeded in breeding Assassin snail? I never though that was possible?
Yes they will breed, not as fast as ramshorn or MTS will. I have sold somewhere around 40 or so over the last year. Another thing that the assassin snail will do is eat small dead fish. I started about 3 years ago with only 3 i bought at a pet store, well they have paid for themselves just reproducing. Right now I have know idea how many are in all three tanks at the present time, I may have to count the numbers here soon to sell some.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tjander said:
@mattgirl. You have succeeded in breeding Assassin snail? I never though that was possible?
I am thinking it is fairly easy to breed assassins as long as one has both male and female to begin with. I started with just over a dozen so had some of both. A couple of the folks that got some of my assassins said they almost immediately started laying eggs so I am sure they now have lots more than they started with.

Occasionally I remove some and sell them to keep my population down. Like @max h my original assassins have basically paid for themselves. At one point my original dozen grew to at least 100 of various sizes. It took a couple of years to get that many though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom