New baby Betta with swim bladder disease and clamped fins

Appalousea

Reactions
Experience
Just started
A friend of mine got me a tank for my birthday so I went out and bought a Betta yesterday. I was originally going to get a red one, but when I saw this beautiful teal veiltail, I knew I had to have him. He's pretty young (his body being about the size of my thumb), and seems to have swim bladder disorder with clamped fins. He was in some pretty dirty water when I got him and who knows how long he was in that cup. I have him in some clean water in a critter cage with a nano heater and towel over top of him to help him recover and heal. He seems to be doing a lot better since yesterday, starting to swim around instead of sticking to the bottom of the cage and is bobbing a little less, but I just had some questions since I'm not too sure what to do about his condition and how to help him.

I know the SBD is probably from the poor water conditions he was in, but is there anything else I should do other than just making sure he is in good, clean water? He might have a bacterial infection since he has clamped fins so should I put some Tetra All in One medicine in there with him?

Attachments

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just keep him in clean water. Can I ask, why havent you put him in the tank?

OP
Appalousea

Appalousea

Reactions
Experience
Just started
SnookusFish said:
Just keep him in clean water. Can I ask, why havent you put him in the tank?
I was worried he wouldn't be able to swim to the top to catch a breath since he was kind of struggling to swim with the SBD and clamped fins. The tank is also a water garden, so I'm not sure if it's safe for me to put medicine in there with plants I plan on eating.

OP
Appalousea

Appalousea

Reactions
Experience
Just started
ValkyrieLips said:
Why is he in a critter cage??
I wanted to quarantine him and get him a little more healthy before putting him in his actual tank. I thought that was what I was supposed to do, was it not?

ValkyrieLips

Reactions
Experience
Just started
Appalousea said:
I wanted to quarantine him and get him a little more healthy before putting him in his actual tank. I thought that was what I was supposed to do, was it not?
If there are no other fish in the tank (and there shouldn't be since I see it's a 5 gallon) then it's fine to put him right into his tank. It'll be better for him to heal in a more stable environment with a filter than in the bottom of a hamster cage. With frequent and consistent water changes the clamped fins will resolve on their own. Clamped fins are usually from stress and poor water quality. There is no need to medicate him.

Is the tank cycled?

OP
Appalousea

Appalousea

Reactions
Experience
Just started
ValkyrieLips said:
If there are no other fish in the tank (and there shouldn't be since I see it's a 5 gallon) then it's fine to put him right into his tank. It'll be better for him to heal in a more stable environment with a filter than in the bottom of a hamster cage. With frequent and consistent water changes the clamped fins will resolve on their own. Clamped fins are usually from stress and poor water quality. There is no need to medicate him.

Is the tank cycled?
Ok, thank you! And yeah, it is. This tank is a 3 gallon, which I kind of on the small side, but in the distant future I hope I can upgrade him.

OP
Appalousea

Appalousea

Reactions
Experience
Just started
Ok, update: Miles (that's what I named him) no longer has swim bladder, which cleared away pretty quickly after getting him in clean, heated water. The only thing is that he still has clamped fins. At this point I'm almost wondering if it's a deformity since I've never seen him actually unfold his fins. He definitely has a deformed mouth and his ventral fins are a little ragged, but he eats fine so that's not so big of a deal. There's been low ammonia levels all last week and pH is about 7 so I don't think it's his water parameters. The water looks almost stagnant despite there being water flow so I doubt water current is the issue. He seems happy otherwise, he swims around, follows me when I walk by his tank, and rests on leaves every now and then. I'm just not sure what's wrong and how to help him.

Rose of Sharon

Reactions
Experience
4 years
Sorry about his poor little mouth! I, too, had a betta with a deformed mouth. He looks like a real sweetie!

Common question....was your tank cycled? Do you test for nitrites?

Ph level is good

Do you use a water conditioner? (Prime is excellent and helps with ammonia and nitrite levels)

How often do you do water changes, and how much do you change at a time?

OP
Appalousea

Appalousea

Reactions
Experience
Just started
Rose of Sharon said:
Sorry about his poor little mouth! I, too, had a betta with a deformed mouth. He looks like a real sweetie!

Common question....was your tank cycled? Do you test for nitrites?

Ph level is good

Do you use a water conditioner? (Prime is excellent and helps with ammonia and nitrite levels)

How often do you do water changes, and how much do you change at a time?
I didn't outright cycle the tank but I put beneficial bacteria in there to do that and it seems to have worked since there's hardly any ammonia. I don't have the master test kit and don't really have the money to get it rn so I've been using the test strips that just say it's in the safe range. I use an all natural conditioner that has aloe in it from home grown ponics. And I do water changes about once a week or when I notice an ammonia spike. It's usually about 75-90% but I've been trying to do less to preserve some of the bacteria. I tried only a 50% wc on my other tank once but it only got rid of a small amount of ammonia.

Rose of Sharon

Reactions
Experience
4 years
You could always try doing small water changes every other day if you're still concerned (something like 10 to 15%). I am having an issue with my betta in a 5 gallon, and until things straighten out and he gets better, I am doing the every other day thing. It doesn't take a lot time or effort, and it lets me know that he is the better for it.

I hope your little guy gets and stays well!!!

OP
Appalousea

Appalousea

Reactions
Experience
Just started
Rose of Sharon said:
You could always try doing small water changes every other day if you're still concerned (something like 10 to 15%). I am having an issue with my betta in a 5 gallon, and until things straighten out and he gets better, I am doing the every other day thing. It doesn't take a lot time or effort, and it lets me know that he is the better for it.

I hope your little guy gets and stays well!!!
That's a good idea! I'll probably do that then. Thanks! And I hope so too!

OP
Appalousea

Appalousea

Reactions
Experience
Just started
Final update: I've recently noticed that his fins aren't clamped... his tail fin is just really small. He keeps it nice and open though, so I think he's fine. He seems happy and eats everything I give him. Thank you everybody that gave me advice and answered my questions!

New Threads