New Baby Betta Fish and Adult Albino Bristlenose Pleco

JeanReyes

Hello, so I just added a small betta fish to my 15G tank (I honestly don't know if its still a "baby" but it is very very small by comparison to my 6inch BN). I have an albino bristlenose for a while in the same tank. I did my research and everything prior to making the purchase of my new betta fish. I kept a close eye on them both for the first couple of hours and I noticed that my BN would be the one being aggressive towards the betta, and not the betta towards him.

My BN would sort of like "shove" almost like a warning to my betta, (similar to a cat but without hurting/touching whoever they're sending the warning to) whenever he would get close enough for my BN to feel the water movement, and my poor betta just swims really quickly away from him. It for sure took him by surprise the first time.

I'm just worried about my male BN perhaps being too aggressive towards my betta and maybe not letting my betta sleep well enough at night time when the BN comes out. Of course I did purchase the large leaf hammock for my betta to sleep on at night.

I might even consider rehoming/selling my BN if it is not a good match. Please help me, any information would be very much appreciated. ♥

DoubleDutch

Sorry to say but a 15G is too small for a BN (certainly a male).

JeanReyes

DoubleDutch said:
Sorry to say but a 15G is too small for a BN (certainly a male).
From what I researched it is at min.
btw, not helpful.

DoubleDutch

JeanReyes said:
btw, not helpful.
I doubt it will attack or be aggressive towards a betta,

On the other hand their needs are quite different. Bettas not that much waterflow and higher temps and BN's the opposite.

I'd sell / rehome the BN for that reason besides I still think a 15G is too small.
But that's my opinion based on my experiences keeping 7 BN's (females).
One reason fish get aggressive towards other fish is a lack of space and a lack of the right circumstances.

Feohw

JeanReyes said:
btw, not helpful.
From what I'm seeing, most places say 20 to 30 gallons. I'd agree with that. With bigger being better.

My bristlenose is fine with bettas and other fish. He will bat them with his tail if they come too close for comfort, but that's about it. I wouldn't believe yours will hurt the betta.

DoubleDutch

Feohw said:
From what I'm seeing, most places say 20 to 30 gallons. I'd agree with that. With bigger being better.

My bristlenose is fine with bettas and other fish. He will bat them with his tail if they come too close for comfort, but that's about it.
Jean has a point, cause for instance Seriously Fish (a decent site to me) mentions 60 x 30 cm which makes it a 15G.

But I have several of tanks sized like that but I won't put one of my BN's in there based on size / behaviour / needs.

Feohw

DoubleDutch said:
Jean has a point, cause for instance Seriously Fish (a decent site to me) mentions 60 x 30 cm which makes it a 15G.

But I have several of tanks sized like that but I won't put one of my BN's in there based on size / behaviour / needs.
I guess. Though I never tend to agree with seriously fish in terms of tank size. Most other places say 20 to 30. I do tend to favour seriously fish for its good info though. One of my go-tos alongside planet catfish.

I wasn't happy keeping my BN in a 24g tall, so I'd agree on not wanting to do one in a 15 myself.

DuaneV

Bristlenose can be pushy fish. Mine all will dart out, push others around and dart back into their log jams all day. Will it HARM your Betta, probably not, but they are MUCH larger and faster, so who knows.

Id also say Bristlenose shouldnt be kept in anything smaller than a 20, and even that might be small. They get quite large (4-6 inches) but beyond that, they are a waste machine. They'll send nitrates through the roof in a small tank, and overall theyre a messy fish. Youll be cleaning a small tank daily.

Beyond that, your Betta is going to want the water temp at 82 to be truly happy and not have health issues. That's too warm for your BNP. He'll want the tank around 72, up to 78, but anything warmer will cause him to eat a ton (dirtying up the tank even more) and on top of that it will shorten his life span as it raises his metabolism.

Bettas and BNPs just aren't good tank mates.

MayaBetta

I agree with the rehoming of the BN. 15G is too small, or at least will be as he gets bigger. In the mean time, creating as much surface area (tunnels, caves, driftwood) as possible will help with the tension between the two

Top Bottom