new at this, new user, older fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jcrupp, Jan 4, 2013.

1. jcruppNew MemberMember

ok.. long story short.... ended up adopting (fostering) some fish after my father in law died. the fish were left there 5-7 days after he died, and their nitrate levelwent thru the roof. i manged to get those levels down, while buying, setting up and (fishless) cycling a new larger tank. 2 large gold severums and a big (2.5 in.) tiger barb. i know that the golds need a bigger tank, but my father in law was mentally ill and had them in a 16 gallon tank of his own design. after a week in their new tank everything is going fine, until today, when the tiger barb, who seemed to be taking the change best of all, could only be found hiding behind the smallest of plants or rocks. before today (the last 3-4 days) he was whizzing around his new tank like a little kid. srsly... i thought he was the only one who would make it, now, im more worried about him than the other fish. tank was proprly cycled, everyting was A-OK until this. advice?

2. GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore!!

Did you get the tank cycled? What are the water parameters? What size tank did you get them?

3. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Hi and welcome :)

what size tank did you get and how did you cycle it?

4. GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Hehe, ninja'd! :;nin2

5. mmolitor87Well Known MemberMember

Along with their questions I would like to point out that tiger barbs prefer groups and he could feel less comfortable in a larger space than what he previously had. After exploring around the new area for any potential buddies he may have freaked out to hide a bit. You might think about getting him 3-4 friends if the space allows.

This is all dependent on tank size, as asked above. :)

6. skjl47Valued MemberMember

Hello; In the futureiIf faced with setting up a new tank and having an established tank on hand you can get the new tank cycled quickly by using material from the old tank. The beneficial bacteria (bb) needed in tanks to deal with ammonia waste will be n the various surfaces in the old tank. Much will be on the filter media and surfaces, but I also feel there will be plenty on the substrate surfaces.
    It is my understanding that even heavy rinsing of gravel will not remove all of the bb. This link to an article gives some additional insight.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice