New Arrivals

cpgarry

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This weekend I lost my firemouth (think the hot weather was too much) so today I purchased a new firemouth along with 2 electric blue acaras and a beautiful Oscar baby also I have had to buy a new tank for my dovii (wolf cichlid) and Texas because they were causing havoc biting anything near them lol they are now a happy pair on there own.
Has anybody got an Oscar in a communal tank?
I’ve been told it’s a bad idea but my large sucking loach seems to be keeping it in check lol.

IMG_5897.jpg
IMG_5907.jpg
Image1525889880.093983.jpg

LizzyCupcake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If this is anything under 75 gallons you have a problem. Oscars are NOT community fish. Even if all the fish are the same size now oscars grow really fast! They get 15 inches long. That Oscar has bad coloration...

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it was me i'd keep him alone ... Oscars don't play nice with others or each other lol

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
LizzyCupcake said:
If this is anything under 75 gallons you have a problem. Oscars are NOT community fish. Even if all the fish are the same size now oscars grow really fast! They get 15 inches long. That Oscar has bad coloration...
While I'll agree that he'll need a large tank for the fish, why call out his fish's coloration? No need for that whatsoever.

That said, the people above do have a point. Oscars are usually best kept alone, with other oscars, or with other very large fish in VERY large tanks. You can sometimes make it work with other cichlids in a massive tank, but honestly, that's sometimes more of an exception, not necessarily the rule.

cpgarry

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for the advice the Oscar seems quite chilled and happy in his surroundings so far but I do plan on upsizing soon anyway. As for the ‘bad colouring’ this fish is constantly changing its pattern/colouring as it gets used to what fish are around it. It is usually dark brown/black with orange spotting across its lower sides but changes to the patchy colouring you see above. What is considered bad colouring?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom