New Aqueon Pro heaters = old Stealths?

ccb04

This is not a review, as I have yet to put the first Aqueon Pro into use. However, as I noted in another thread, I'm in the process of switching from the older Stealth models to the newer Aqueon Pro heaters.

I believe the 'new' Aqueon Pro models are essentially the 'old' Stealth heaters. The primary differences being that the Aqueon Pro models have an indicator light and different temperature control knob.

Reasons I believe they're very similiar/same.....

- The old Stealth heaters and new Aqueon Pro models were/are both made in Italy.

- Take a look at the suction cup groove lines on the old Stealths and the Aqueon Pro models ... they're virtually identical.

- Just like the old Stealth heaters, the Aqueon Pro utilizes the same polymer exterior and an aluminum core as it's heating element.

- Model sizes appear very similar.

IMO, the Aqueon Pro is what the 'improved' Stealth heaters prehaps should have been (instead of the Stealth Pro's) ... which is to say essentially the same heater as before with an indicator light added and still manufactured in Italy. I hope to have the same good luck with them as I had overall with the older Stealths.

Here's some info on the Aqueon Pro's.....

Lucy

Pretty interesting observation!

Let us know how they work for you.

ccb04

Lucy, will do.

I'm going to try one of the Aqueon Pro models and also likely one of the newer Jager TS fully submersible heaters and see which I like best.

GEOlson

Please post what you think of the heater. I just picked up a 250 Aqueon Pro last night but won't be using it 'til I get the aquarium set up. I'm getting everything a little at a time, and the tank itself is last. Hopefully in about 2 weeks I'll get to test it.

ccb04

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to use the Aqueon Pro yet either, as I am waiting to transfer stock to another tank prior to using it.

I have however had both an old Stealth and the Aqueon Pro side by side ... and the bodies of the heaters appear virtually identical, from the suction cup groove lines to the circle on the bottom of the cylinder. The main differences appear to be the control knobs and the Aqueon Pro has an indicator light. The Aqueon Pro is a bit more pricey than the Stealths as well.

If Aqueon did indeed sub out to the same manufacturer in Italy that made the old Stealths, that could end up being a wise move on their part. To boot, they addressed one of the few criticisms of the old Stealth with the addition of the indicator light.

Jaysee

They look different - different shape.

GEOlson

When I was at the store it looked like the new Stealth Pros were not as long but thicker than the Aqueon Pro. I figured maybe the length is why Aqueon says their 250W can heat 90 gal and the stealth is for 75. maybe different companies hav different ideas on what wattage can heat in gallons.

ccb04

They look different - different shape.

Jaysee,

The control knob yes ... the shaft no. The control knob on the Aqueon does give the heater (including the tube) the appearance of a different (almost tapered), shape. However, the Aqueon Pro even has the old Stealth 'circle' on the bottom of the heater ... and the suction cup grooves are pretty much identical. I've also had the old Stealths and a couple of Aqueon Pro's side-by-side, and the size is near identical on the couple of models I compared.

Marineland Stealth Pro's are now made in China ... so prehaps Aqueon approached the old Stealth factory in Italy and is now doing business with them? The control knob on the Aqueon Pro is essentially the same one as on their glass models.

ccb04

When I was at the store it looked like the new Stealth Pros were not as long but thicker than the Aqueon Pro. I figured maybe the length is why Aqueon says their 250W can heat 90 gal and the stealth is for 75. maybe different companies hav different ideas on what wattage can heat in gallons.

The Stealth Pro and the Aqueon Pro are definitely different heaters. The Stealths are now being made in China ... whereas the new Aqueon Pro's are being manufactured in Italy (same as the old Stealth Heaters), and the body of the heaters look very similar. Additionally, both the Aqueon Pro and the old Stealth models used an aluminum heating element ... whereas the Stealth Pro now makes use of a mesh heating element, a mica core, and epoxy fill.

bissonne

I bought an Aqueon Pro 50w heater for my fluval edge today, I will be putting into action this weekend. I liked the small size, and yet it had the adjustable temp, unlike smaller heaters that are typically preset to 78 degrees. I figure that will give me the opportunity to get rid of ich if I happen to have that problem. I will keep you updated on how happy I am with this heater, I did a lot of reasearch because I wanted a smaller one but did not want the fluval edge heater cause its got so many bad reviews and the present 78 degree limitation. Adjustable and options are always better imo. I had to go to 3 petsmarts before I found one too.

James95

I have verified that the heaters are identical from multiple sources (company representatives, My LFS owner, and a distributor). Marineland is owned by United pet group, who probably decided to sell the old stealth's "plans" to central pet company, which owns Aqueon. The Aqueon pro heaters are simply updated versions of the old stealth heaters. Central pet has chosen to manufacture the Aqueon pro heaters in Italy, probably the same factory that made the old stealth models. Here's a link to a thread on another forum confirming this:

Lucy

I have verified that the heaters are identical from multiple sources (company representatives, My LFS owner, and a distributor). Marineland is owned by United pet group, who probably decided to sell the old stealth's "plans" to central pet company, which owns Aqueon. The Aqueon pro heaters are simply updated versions of the old stealth heaters. Central pet has chosen to manufacture the Aqueon pro heaters in Italy, probably the same factory that made the old stealth models. Here's a link to a thread on another forum confirming this:

That's pretty interesting, thanks for the link.

James95

No problem, I too found it interesting that so many popular aquarium brands (marineland, tetra, instant ocean, aqueon, etc) were under two main companies- United pet group and central pet. Central pet even owns tropical fish hobbyist magazine!

ccb04

Thanks for the verification.

Smart move by Central pet, IMO. I've always felt that the Aqueon Pro is what the updated Stealth should've been ... basically the same heater but with an indicator light. Seemingly, the Aqueon Pro is just that. It's really a shame for Marineland now, given that the new Stealth Pro's are apparently being recalled.

Certainly, the old Stealths weren't completely without problems. Then again, every heater I've ever read about has had malfunctions, as all mechanical things of course can. I personally did find the old Stealth's to be quite reliable overall. Every once in a while you can run across the complaint of a thermostat getting stuck (as I've also seen with other models). I've made it a habit that when I remove my heater to clean it, that I rotate the temp knob all the way back and forth several times ... hoping to keep it from getting stuck (if calcified, etc.)

James95

No problem. I agree with you on pretty much every point you made Great minds thing alike!

Camman

Sorry for my confusion, but when you say the Aqueon Pro's are like the "old Stealths", this does not refer to the "Stealth Pro" model by Marineland that is being recalled, correct? I am curious because I have two Marineland Stealth Pro 250w Heaters that I just recently purchased.

I called Petco and Marineland today after hearing about the problems with the heaters, Marineland said they could swap them out for Visi-Therms which seemed like not a great option because these were supposed to be a higher quality heater and that, to me, wouldn't be a like-for-like exchange, I bought the Stealth Pros because they were shatter-proof with no glass. Petco said I could come in and return these and then pick from what they had, so I was thinking about getting the Aqueon Pro (I liked that they have a non-glass body like the Stealth Pro), but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't exhanging the recalled Stealth Pro for a re-labeled Aqueon version of the Stealth Pro

Thanks!

ccb04

Camman ... it refers to the Aqueon Pro's being like the 'old' Stealths, not the newer Pro's.

The Aqueon Pro's are essentially the old Stealth's (even made in Italy) ... while the newer Stealth Pro's are made in China and are the one's being recalled (atleast by some).

The Aqueon Pro has the exact same body as the old Stealth. The differences are the temperature control knob and the Aqueon Pro has an indicator light. The old Stealth, Aqueon Pro, and Stealth Pro, all have polymer exteriors. The old Stealth and the Aqueon Pro share the same heating element (aluminum core), while the newer Stealth Pro is a 'mesh' heating element.

You should be just fine with the Aqueon Pro.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AndyP
Replies
Views
Islandvic
  • Question
  • BlackTiger
  • Heater
Replies
Views