New Aquascape Plans for my 55 Gal

1. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

I have plans to rescape my 55 gal to prepare for my new addition, the Vieja Argentio ;D

I plan to get more driftwoods and rocks. Maybe changing the substrate from plant soil to sand. Is sand okay with Viejas? And rocks... I was thinking river rocks. They're fine right? Need some more advice and opinions.

Thanks to everyone in advance :)

P.S I attached a photo of my plan. Did it with paint like how some members do theirs. Sorry if it's not specific, I'm not very good at art. The red circles are where the driftwoods will be placed or plan to be placed, blue circles are the rocks.

Attached Files:

2. alicem Member Member

Whoa, that sure is a purdy cichlid.
    I swiped a sweet photo from mycichlidtank.oneinfostop.com to show everyone:

http://mycichlidtank.oneinfostop.com/argentea_jun06.jpg

Are you getting a pair for your 55G? I guess you know that they can grow quite large?
    River rocks shouldn't alter your pH or anything, if you are worried about that.
    The smooth edges will help lessen the threat of abrasions if they begin chasing around too much.
    Be very careful if you stack the river rocks. They tend to not be very stable in piles, especially if you get a rambunctious Vieja Argentea.
    :animal0028:
    Your picts didn't attach or something happened because I can't see 'em.
    :)
    alicem

3. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Thanks Alice. I just edited my post, there was an error there, sorry.

From what our FL members recommended, I'm only getting one. A pair would be dangerous. I haven't figured out how and which way I'll be stacking the rocks but I'll definitely be making sure they don't fall easily. Thanks for the tip, almost forgot about that :)

4. alicem Member Member

Ah, I see your attached photo now. :;th
    If you raise that water level up, you'll give the fish several more gallons to swim in.
    Hummm, I suppose when you put rocks in the water level will rise,
    so I guess you should also take the water displacement issue into consideration.

Post picts of your rocks and driftwood in the tank when you get it the way you like it, or before if you want some critiques.
    Your layout looks like a good plan.
    :)
    alicem