New Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Skadunkadunk, May 9, 2006.

1. SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

I am planning on get a 29-30 gallon aquarium this summer, and I was wondering if I could put together a schol of zebra danios, 2 swordtails or mollies, and a red tail shark. I was also thinking about getting some live plants, and was wondering what plants would be good for beginners.

Here's a link for the aquarium:

2. ebbandflowValued MemberMember

The tank you are thinking of getting is a "tall" aquarium. Because surface area has a lot to do with how many fish you can have, if you want more fish for the same gallons I would recommend a regular 30 gallon aquarium. I'm not positive but I think a RTS might get too big for a 30 gallon. See what other people think about your other questions.

3. SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

I was also thinking of getting an angelfish instead of a rts, would that work?

4. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

30 or 29G tall would be good for angelfish but it wouldn't be good for zebra danios. Zebra danios like long tanks because they swim very fast. I don't know much about red-tail sharks. If they're peaceful and smaller in size they'd be OK with angels, but if not - I wouldn't recommend a red-tail shark with angels. I think a 30G long would be OK for both angels and a school of zebra danios (let's leave a red-tail shark alone). And plants would be great in such a tank.

P.S. A 30G long tank has enough of surface area. And a school of zebra danios and a pair of angels would make it just fine, not overcrowded. Only how large are the angels you want to get?

5. SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

How about this aquarium:

6. ebbandflowValued MemberMember

I have a 29 gal and I saw a 30 in the fish store today and I really wish I had one of those instead (I could have six more inches of fish!)  I'm sooo greedy  ::).

7. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

I have a 30 gallon long glass tank whose dimensions are "36 x 12 x 16". I think such a tank would work great for a pair of angels and a school of zebra danios. Plants would make it even better. Like I said, a 29 or a 30G TALL would also be great for angels, but it would not work for a school of zebra danios as they like to swim very fast ans therefore need a long tank.

Does your tank have to be acrylic? Plus, how large are the angels you're planning to get?

8. SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

I would like it 2 be acrylic, and the angel is gonna be around 6 inches

9. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Oops ... with an angel that is 6 inches long and was never raised with fish as small as zebra danios before, there is a good chance it will try to eat the zebra danios, lol. But then again, maybe zebra danios will be able to "dodge" the angel since they're such fast swimmers. Any fish that has mouth large enough to eat another fish, may easily do so. And believe me, even if a fish's mouth does not appear big, it can open its mouth pretty widely.

10. SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

How big are your angels?

11. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

My angels are grown already - including their fins-span they're around 5-6 inches long too. Not including their fins, they're about 4 inches. BUT they were raised with my 12 neons (neons are about the size of zebra danios and are much slower than zebra danios) since they were babies - so they're used to the neons and do not attack them. On the other hand, angels that were never with fish this small before, may attack and eat them since they may regard them as food.

12. SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

Well, im gonna get the zebras first, then add the swordtails or mollies, and then add the angel. Im gonna try to get the angel at around 2-3 inches.

13. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

OK, well ... the smaller the angel the better if you'll have small fish with it. Good luck.

14. SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

Thanks, and thanks for the advice, and good luck with your fish as well!

15. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

You're welcome, and thank you too :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice