New Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by primobryan, Jul 23, 2015.

1. primobryan

primobryanValued MemberMember

So I have a 20 gallon Long aquarium with only one rainbow shark I know he needs a bigger tank but he's fine right now he's about 2" so for filtration I have an Aquaclear 70 filter with modified filter media 4 filter floss pad cut to size 2 of those pads have carbon in them and on top all the biomax included with the aquaclear and more of fluval biomax on top I have no problems but I'm looking to upgrade my tank to a planted aquarium however I want something rather large I want to house discus and angelfish some neon tetras and a few German rams. I also want to setup a reef tank but I'm not sure which tank to use to make my reef tank a 135 or use my 40 breeder in the backyard that I just drilled if not I might just make a custom tank now my question is what size of aquarium would be ideal for a planted aquarium as I can and know how to assemble aquariums and having connections in family working in glass I can pretty much get glass for free or at least under $60 for a 100 gallon 60" x 18" x 21" so would a 100 gallon be ideal

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore! :)
    IMO, I would look into getting the rainbow shark a bigger tank first before setting up another tank. Any size would work for a planted aquarium. Usually the bigger the better :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    primobryan

Could I put the rainbow in the planted auquarium I'm looking for upgrading him to a 90 gallon rather than a 100 for space that I have

4. AquaticBrandon

Yeah you can, depending on what other species of fish you want to add though

5. OP
    OP
    primobryan

Just angelfish, discus, rams, a few neon tetras

6. AquaticBrandon

I don't think that stocking is going to work. I wouldn't add a Rainbow Shark with discus because rainbow sharks can be pretty aggressive when bigger. Also angelfish and neons wouldn't really work because the Angels might eat the neons. Another thing is that discus need to be in higher temps, which most of these fish can't tolerate.

7. OP
    OP
    primobryan

What would you recommend me to do I could always relocate my rainbow shark it was a gift from a friend who is willing to take it back at any moment I really would like discus though I never owned one but I heard they are more difficult than an angelfish

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

If you do discus, it's recommended you do a species only tank. They're more difficult to keep.

9. AquaticBrandon

Well you can have the stocking plan that you want without the discus. The rainbow shark, angelfish, Rams, and neon tetras. Although, the angelfish MIGHT eat the neons, it really depends on the angelfish because many people have kept them together. Yes discus need more maintenance than your ordinary fish. They need pristine water and are a little more expensive. If you get Discus juveniles you will have to grow them out, which means you will have to do frequent water changes and feed 4-5 times a day. Discus prefer to be in temps of 82F+ which many fish can't tolerate. These fish aren't really recommended for beginners because they need a lot more maintenance.

10. OP
    OP
    primobryan

Yea alright thanks man I really appreciate the advice I've been in the hobby for about 4 years 3 years in freshwater and 1 in saltwater but I have never owned discus so I was curious going back and redoing an old planted tank I had before reusing my driftwood and ryouh stones from ADU I guess I'll pass on them until I redecorate my house to setup an all discus aquarium because I'm limited to wall space

11. AquaticBrandon

Oh okay, sorry I thought you were a beginner. You can now fill out your profile info since you have enough posts already :). Discus are very nice fish, If you do want a discus tank. I would recommend keeping them in species only tanks or having them with Cardinal tetras which I believe can tolerate higher temps. Discus just need more maintenance than your usual fish. I am thinking of starting up a discus tank, but maybe next year. I don't really have much space for another tank

12. OP
    OP
    primobryan

Yea alright I technically am a beginner in saltwater though because if you take off the time it takes live rock to cure then cycling a aquarium I'm only been in the saltwater hobby for about 9 months I'm considering a move to Reefing but I would probably have to add more T5HOs as I currently have a dual but I'm thinking on going to Rapidled and make a fixture if been wanting those Coralux storm x dimmer with 16 channels

13. AquaticBrandon

Nice! I'm currently a beginner in SW too. I'm 3 months into the SW hobby. I have a 29 gallon reef

14. OP
    OP
    primobryan

Yea I have a 40breeder or had I currently have my 2 false percula clowns and a cleaner shrimp in my 15 gallon because I wanted to drilled my breeder if I decide to custom make a tank I might just go up to a 135 or 100 but then I start to think about lighting skimming more sand/argonite hydor pumps and more heating and well it's just alot

15. AquaticBrandon

A 135 or 100 gallon SW tank does sound really nice, but it will be expensive

16. OP
    OP
    primobryan

Yea because I really want a Yellow or blue hippo tang but most forums have told me I need at least a 4ft tank but I've seen how much of an active swimmer these guys are and I believe a 5ft long tank should be sufficient it's a shame because lfs say it's okay for me to have a tang in my 40 breeder juvenile sized but even if I were too upgrade I feel it's too small for them to be in a 3ft tank

17. AquaticBrandon

Yeah they do need larger tanks

18. OP
    OP
    primobryan

Hopefully in time I could get mine the tank cost want matter much to me I can get glass cheap and I will use 1/2" glass thickness Euro braced but the main expense is materials I only have enough for a 40 breeder however I feel I might need another wavemaker for future addition of corals I have a 850gph hydor koralia

19. AquaticBrandon

Some corals do like the extra flow :)

20. OP
    OP
    primobryan

Yea do you have any corals

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice