New Aquarium-what Should I Use For The Base?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kyleaz, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Kyleaz

KyleazValued MemberMember

I just got a new aquarium a 30 long. I have read so much but I just don't know. Pool filter sand sounds good but they also sell a material called"zero sand" it is not the size but it is the type. Any ideas?
    Also I will need a filter what are the best types these days? Should I try a canister, will sand get into the filter?
    Regards and thank you in advance,
    Kyleaz

2. NavyChief20

NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

What species are you going to keep?
    Pool filter sand works very well but as with all sand , rinse, rinse, rinse and then rinse. Im not a huge fan of canisters since they are over priced given their effectiveness. I am a huge fan of sumps as all my filters are a sump. There are many styles you can build and they are inexpensive and have the added bonus that you have a water volume increase and you dont have any equipment in your tank.

3. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

I think everyone can agree sumps are more efficient than canisters, but canisters are 100% the next best option, and usually the more practical filter. I don't think canisters are overpriced. They're expensive because of how fast and easy you can set them up, and how much more effective they are at filtration than a hang on back filter. You buy it from the store, and within 45 minutes it's up and running on your tank. Water that enters a canister HAS to go through filtration before it comes back out. You can also customize your media choice. Unless it's saltwater, or a very large and fully stocked tank, I don't think sumps are necessary. A sump on a 30 gallon would be a bit excessive in my opinion. I run Fluval canisters on my tanks and all of them are pristine.

4. NavyChief20

NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Realistically it comes down to what you are stocking and what kind of cost you want to have for maintenance. If you are stocking messy eaters you are gonna want something pretty substantial.
    Two filters I would stay away from:
    HOB
    In tank filter
    They just dont get the right water change over and unless you do some mods (cheap) HOBs are not worth it.

AquaticJ can steer you in the right direction on canister filters. I have never bought one I only have canister filters that I make and they are all sitting on a shelf in my garage.

5. OP
    OP
    Kyleaz

I think this tank will have tetras and guppies. Perhaps 1 pair of angle fish.
    Kyleaz

6. AquaticJ

A solid choice!

7. OP
    OP
    Kyleaz

Fairmount Minerals
    Pool Filter Sand #20 Grade Silica Sand - 50 lbs. by Fairmount Minerals

• Ecologically safe sand does not solidify and will help prevent clogging and channeling
      • 100% natural sand is chemical free and backwashes easily and evenly
      • Filters out insects, leaves, oils, dirt, dust, hair and algae from pool water
      • Odorless, premium #20 grade swimming pool sand filter media
      • Does not stain and ensures easy maintenance at a lower cost
      I guess I am going with plain old pool sand for my new tank. The "zeroSand" that I was looking at had horrible reviews on Amazon.
      Next I have to decide what size filter for the 30gal long tank or do I need 2?
      Kyleaz

8. MissCap

MissCapValued MemberMember

I have pool filter sand in my 55 gallon. It think it was about $4-$5 for 50 lbs. I rinsed it a LOT. Let all the sand settle in the tank before turning on the filters. Some filter tubes go almost to the ground. I cut part of my tube to make it shorter. I also have filter intake tube covers just in case. I don’t want to take any chances with sand.

9. AquaticJ

10. OP
    OP
    Kyleaz

any thoughts on the foam filter that are installed in the tank?
    Kyleaz

11. AquaticJ

Do you mean sponge filters? With airline connected?

12. OP
    OP
    Kyleaz

Yes
    Kyleaz

13. AquaticJ

Great for biological filtration, I'd keep them.

14. OP
    OP
    Kyleaz

Do I need a second filter or is the sponge filter enough? Do the sponges need to be changed out like the medium in the hanging filters?
    Kyleaz

15. Jeffsglo

JeffsgloValued MemberMember

Just rinse and squeeze sponge filter in tank water that you siphoned very thoroughly. Then put it back in tank. This is also a great filter to use for QT quarantine tank. You would have instant cycled QT tank. You could buy a second sponge filter just for QT. But no you should never change sponge filter until it falls apart. Or before.

16. AquaticJ

For the sake of water clarity and cleanliness, yes you should have a different filter in addition to sponge filters.