New Aquarium Stocking 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Audrey0611, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Audrey0611

Audrey0611New MemberMember

Hi everyone! I am planning on starting a new 75 gallon tank soon and I would love some stocking ideas. I like the idea of multiple schools of very colorful fish in a natural looking aquarium. I am NOT interested in cichlids or angel fish. Any ideas?

2. Crimson_687

Crimson_687Well Known MemberMember

Just throwing out ideas:
    - rummynose tetra
    - neon tetra
    - celestial pearl danios (aka galaxy rasbora)
    - emerald rasbora
    - harlequin rasbora
    - lambchop rasbora
    - cardinal tetra

Personally I think it would be really cool if you did a huge school of cardinal tetras with a school of cories

Once you work out what fish you want and look into compatibility of the chosen species it’s easier to decide stocking in terms of quantity of each fish

3. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Are there any fish that you are particularly interested in?
    Barbs, tetras, danios, rasboras, pencilfish and rainbowfish are all popular and colourful schooling fish that could work in a 75 gallon

4. OP
    OP
    Audrey0611

I have a few neons now and I haven’t had the best time with them but I love the way they look, so I am definitely thinking of including some cardinal tetras. I’ve never had cories but people seem to love them so I might give those a try too!

5. OP
    OP
    Audrey0611

I am most interested in tetras and rainbowfish. I am definitely leaning towards including some cardinal tetras because I love the coloring. I just wasn’t sure if they would look too small in a 75 gallon tank. I also like the praecox rainbowfish but again I know they are on the smaller side. Do you have any suggestions for other colorful tetras? So many just look dull in the store but I know they might look better in my tank.

6. CMB

CMBWell Known MemberMember

There is nothing small about a massive school of colorful fish. Get at least 2 dozen of them and they'll look great, just look at videos of them in a tank. If you want a spectacular looking school, I've heard that rummynose tetras make rather tight schools. I don't know about other tetras, but there are a ton of different types of rainbowfish you could look at with a tank that size. Are you interested in gouramis at all, or are you just going for schooling fish?

7. Crimson_687

Crimson_687Well Known MemberMember

1-3 gourami would make nice centerpiece fish, so long as they get along

8. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

How about something like this at 79-80f
    20 cardinal tetras
    15 praecox rainbows
    3 pearl gouramis (one male, 2 female)
    4 german blue rams
    1 clown pleco
    20 sterbai cories or bronze/albino cories

I think congo tetras are very pretty once settled in. Flame tetras are quite colourful. Though silvertip tetras are not super colourful I think they are very beautiful. Green neons are colourful but even smaller than cardinals.