New Aquarium Setup Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarleyF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello! I am looking to change my tank setup and would like some advice. I currently have two aquariums, a 20g with one female betta and a 29g with 4 juvenile angelfish, 4 ghost cats, and 2 otos. I need to get a bigger tank for my angels, so I would like to combine the two tanks.

I am wondering what size tank I should upgrade to for 4 adult angels, 4 adult ghost cats, 2 adult otos, and 1 female betta.
What equipment should I get for the new tank?
I have a Marineland C-160 filter and I can put both of the heaters I have in the new tank, one on each side. Please let me know how I can set this tank up so I can have a permenant set-up! Thank you! I appreciate all the advice I can get!!!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your going to want to look in the 55-90 gallon range as far as tank size. The 2 heaters may work as may the filters you currently have. Initially any way. Once your filters can't keep up then it would be time to upgrade those too .

Gourami36

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yay this is my 1000th message. Otos need groups of 6+. I would say at least 60 gallons and moderately-heavily planted tank. The heaters might work but I would suggest to get a filter with at least 300 gph

MarleyF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Your going to want to look in the 55-90 gallon range as far as tank size. The 2 heaters may work as may the filters you currently have. Initially any way. Once your filters can't keep up then it would be time to upgrade those too .
Thank you! Do you have any filter reccomendations?

MarleyF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yay this is my 1000th message. Otos need groups of 6+. I would say at least 60 gallons and moderately-heavily planted tank. The heaters might work but I would suggest to get a filter with at least 300 gph
Congrats on 1k messages! I’m honored ☺. Once I upgrade my tank, I will get more Otos. I used to have 6 but I have had these Otos for almost two years so they are the only ones left, sadly. Thank you! Also, do you have any recommendations for tanks with over 300 gph?

MarleyF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I personally like the aqueon quietflows.
Thank you! I like those too, I have one on my 20g right now! I’m going to look for a canister filter for such a big tank upgrade though.

Lollipop0912

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you’re looking for canister filters, sunsuns are highly recommended.

MarleyF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you’re looking for canister filters, sunsuns are highly recommended.
Thank you, do you have any that you would recommend? The only one I’ve found that is enough gph has awful reviews

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you dont mind the price tag, eheim and fluval make great canisters that would be a good alternative - except it costs a little more than sunsun.

IMO, if you want a 90g tank, I would look somewhere in the 700 - 900 gph to ensure the tank has good circulation, as 300 gph would lead to dead spots within the aquarium.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you, do you have any that you would recommend? The only one I’ve found that is enough gph has awful reviews
Sunsun and their Polar Aurora equivalents have the highest 4 star ratings of just about all of them considering they're all made of plastic that cost about $25 and sell for $70-200.

MarleyF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you dont mind the price tag, eheim and fluval make great canisters that would be a good alternative - except it costs a little more than sunsun.

IMO, if you want a 90g tank, I would look somewhere in the 700 - 900 gph to ensure the tank has good circulation, as 300 gph would lead to dead spots within the aquarium.
Do you think the Penn Plax Cascade Canister 1000 or 1200 would be a good choice? Because I can’t afford something that expensive. I would also try to keep my current canister filter, so that should help.

MarleyF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sunsun and their Polar Aurora equivalents have the highest 4 star ratings of just about all of them considering they're all made of plastic that cost about $25 and sell for $70-200.
Do you think the Penn Plax Cascade Canister 1000 or 1200 would be a good choice? Because I can’t afford something that expensive. I would also try to keep my current canister filter, so that should help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 10 40.0%

Top Bottom