New Aquarium Pump and Filter Question

SMurray

Hi. I have a new aquarium, and this is the pump/filter it uses. Do I change out both filters at the same time monthly?

Attachments

• 20220115_151208.jpg
    20220115_151208.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 7

carsonsgjs

Don’t replace your filter media like the manufacturer suggests - just rinse it in old tank water when it gets clogged and put it back in the filter. Taking out your media and replacing it with new will harm your cycle by removing a large portion of your tank’s nitrifying bacteria.

BigManAquatics

And even if you did replace, which i usually don't reccomend either, i would only change 1, then change the other one a month or two later.

CindiL

Hi welcome. What I do is when a filter really gets worn out and needs to be replaced, I cut the floss off the old one, dump the carbon etc and place the old floss in with the new cartridge For a week. That way the new filter can get seeded with the old floss.
Yeah they just want you to spend money. Use them till they’re worn out.

SMurray

Don’t replace your filter media like the manufacturer suggests - just rinse it in old tank water when it gets clogged and put it back in the filter. Taking out your media and replacing it with new will harm your cycle by removing a large portion of your tank’s nitrifying bacteria.
So, just take the old filter out, rinse it in old tank water as is, and put it back in Doesn't? Doesn't the carbon inside get old and need to be replaced?

carsonsgjs

So, just take the old filter out, rinse it in old tank water as is, and put it back in Doesn't? Doesn't the carbon inside get old and need to be replaced?
It does, but unless you are using carbon for a specific reason (removing meds for example) then you don’t need to run it all the time.

86 ssinit

Carbons not needed. But as stated being your just setting up your filter the video in post #4 is a very good idea. Down the line it’s much cheaper to run your filter that way. All my hobs are set up without the stock cartridges.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
Edsland
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies