new aquarium problem!

chrissie1993

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everybody.

I set a new tank up about 3 days ago (I am new to the aquarium hobby).
I bought myself a siamese fighting fish and also a guppy (against advice that they should be kept apart but they generally ignored each other).
The tank was clear all day yesterday, but when i saw it again today, it was quite cloudy.
Unfortunately, my guppy died suddenly, one minute it was swimming around very actively, the next it was upside down dead any ideas on what may have caused this sudden death?
Now, all i have left is my fighting fish who seems to be very slow compared to yesterday and is simply lying down on the bottom of the tank rather than swimming around as it did yesterday. Does anybody know why my fish is acting this way?
Thankyou

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi chrissie welcome to FishLore
I'm really sorry about your fish.
Guppies and bettas don't make good tanks mates. Either the guppy or betta can be aggressive towards each other. Bettas normally do better by themselves especially in your size tank.

However, since your betta isn't doing well, the first thing to check is your water parameters.
Is the tank cycled?
What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates?

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishlore chrissie1993
sorry for your loss.
what kind of filter and hearter do you have in your tank?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

I'm sorry about your guppy! If your tank was set up just three days ago I get the feeling that it isn't cycled. The sudden death, the current condition of the betta and the cloudy water also lead me to believe that it isn't cycled. Most likely the guppy died from ammonia poisoning and the betta is suffering it.

Your profile says you know about the nitrogen cycle. Did you do something like add filter media from an established tank to get the beneficial bacteria started in this tank?

What water conditioner are you using? Do you have a water test kit?

The best thing for your little betta guy right now is a large water change to remove some of the built up ammonia in the water. Using a product like Prime or Amquel+ will detoxify the ammonia and nitrites, helping your fish hang in there until the beneficial bacteria can process the waste.

-Lisa

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Chrissie and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

chrissie1993

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for the nice welcome everyone
yeah, i knew about the nitrogen cycle after i bought the fish- none of the pet stores i went to even bothered to tell me anything about it, leaving me none the wiser
haven't got a test kit yet, but i used distilled water.
The conditioner i used is called Aqua Plus water conditioner and ive also got Cycle Biological Supplement as well that ive used.
Today was a better day for my Betta, though, he was swimming around a lot more and generally seemed more active so things are looking good for my little guy fingers crossed!

UNTAMEDlore

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
welcome crissy,
LFS are very good at not telling you things they should like about tank cycle and even stocking/overstocking and the help they do wish to provide normally is normally because they wish to sell you something. I recommend you read up on the articles on this site and also keep posting any questions you may have as the only dumb question is the one not asked! (im new to this site but its probally one of the best i have found)

chrissie1993

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for saying the only dumb question is the one not asked- i actually felt quite silly before to be honest.
thankyou for the advice and i will certainly take it into account the next time I'm at my LFS x

chrissie1993

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hey everyone, just thought i would give you an update!
the tank is looking extremely clear now and my fishie is swimming around contentedly
was just wondering if anyone else's fish tends to like lying underneath the heater by the way? as ive noticed my betta likes doing that x

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My blood red parrot likes the heater and he likes his cave.

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
they will rest on or by things in a tank.

chrissie1993

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks guys

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads