New Aquarium, Media Question

1. JenniferB

JenniferB Valued Member Member

I bought a new aquarium and filter recently and am getting ready to get it all set up today (hopefully).

I already have a cycled 10 gallon tank that I threw a large bag of bio rings and a bunch of Matrix into the tank to sit maybe 2 weeks ago. I am moving up to a 45g and will be keeping the 10 going for the 2 guppy fry that are currently in a net in that tank. (my tank is super crowded with the breeder box and 2 large bags of media in it. lol)

So my question is......do I need to have flow over all this media sitting in the tank or is it growing bacteria just by sitting there in the tank?

I will be taking half of the bio rings in my HOB that is on my 10g as well. All of this media will be going into a new sunsun 704b.

I guess I am really just asking if I should have put an airstone or something under the media bags I put inside the tank or if the bacteria will easily colonize it by it just being there in the tank.

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Yes, they need to be inside the filter, otherwise the bacterial growth is so minimal it most likely won’t make a difference.

3. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

The media does need water running through it to build a strong colony of bacteria. I'm not sure just 2 little fry are producing enough ammonia to grow much a bacterial colony though. Are they the only fish that have lived in this tank?

4. OP
    OP
    JenniferB

Oh no.…….the old 10 gallon has plenty of other fish in it currently. The tank has been up for about 2 months and according to my master test kit it is fully cycled. I was just saying that I cant take all of the media from the 10 gallon filter because I am going to keep the 10 gallon going for the 2 fry, that way I dont have to move the little breeder basket over to the 45g. I hope that makes sense. lol

I have 2 kids who helped pick fish.....so I have a strange mix going on in this tank and it is honestly likely overstocked, which is why I am moving to the new 45g. In this 10g I have a pink glofish, a male and a female pineapple sword, 2 female guppies, a sunset honey gourami, a lone neon tetra, and 5 ember tetras. Wow, it looks so much worse when I actually write it all out. There are also 3 red cherry shrimp in there. Oh....and the 2 fry in a breeder net. Clearly they could use a bigger home.

There are live plants in there that will be moving to the new tank as well.

5. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

Yeah you’re very overstocked lol. When you move to the 45, just take 2/3 of the media with the fish. Leave the rest for the guppy fry.

6. mattgirl

Ah ha, gotcha :D If I were you I would put an airstone under the media bags. You need to have water running through them and the air should do it. Inside a filter housing is best but this way should help.

Since you are wanting to make the move right away though it is possible that some bacteria has grown on them so if you can take some of the media from the 10 gallon filter and this media the total amount could very well jump start the new tank. Just keep a very close eye on the perimeters in case of spikes.

7. OP
    OP
    JenniferB

I can totally leave them in the 10g while waiting for the new tank to fully cycle. I have stressed these poor fish out enough, dont want to throw them into any more suffering. I dont mind moving them over a couple at a time either so there isnt a sudden large spike.

This all started because my husband is stupid. lol. While I was out of town he took the 3 year old to the petstore and came home with 3 goldfish.
    I had not kept fish for a decade at that point. Of course I had to inform my husband that goldfish dont stay that small and that a 10g was in no way appropriate. Then the kids were upset so I had to replace the goldfish. So the kids went wild and we ended up with this mess of fish. (The embers were me, I admit) My daughter intentionally picked up some pregnant female guppies......so that has been fun. Thankfully her boyfriends family owns a local fish store so we can unload the ungodly amount of guppies I am sure we will end up with.

8. mattgirl

This is a very familiar story. Lots of folks get into fish keeping with no plans to do so at that particular point in time. :D

The fact that you have a fully cycled tank tells me that you are not new to fish keeping. It is kinda like riding a bike. We may be rusty but it doesn't take long to get right back into doing it.

I am assuming that you did a fish in cycle for the 10 gallon tank so I am sure you will have no problem cycling the bigger tank. You are a step or two ahead this time though because you already have some seeded media. With seeded media cycling the new tank shouldn't take very long as long as the ammonia source produces enough ammonia to feed and grow a big strong colony of bacteria.

Even if you moved most of the media to the new tank along with all fish other than the fry in the breeder net to the new tank the 10 gallon should grow back the necessary bacteria to keep it cycled within 24 hours of removing most of it and the new tank should have enough seeded material to just go through a mini cycle.