New Aquarium Help

Jesssss

Reaction score
hey guys,
So I just bought a tank and fish about a week ago..... 3 gallon and betta..I know too small.. So I just bought a 10 gallon and i'm not sure if I want to use the water from the old tank in the new tank? I mean I have to keep him in his old tank til this one cycles obv but I've also read that you should use the gravel from ur old tank because the of the benificial bacteria but how would I do that if I have to add 7 more gallons of water to the new tank.. Obv I have to let it cycle first..so is it even worth it to fill it up 7gal then when I'm ready to switch use the 3gal from the other tank and put gravel from old tank?? Or just set it up as a new tank..sorry for the maybe dumb question lol thanks

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since neither the 3 gallon nor the 10 gallon are cycled I would go ahead and move everything from the 3 gallon including the water over to the 10 gallon and let the 10 gallon cycle instead of doing a fish in cycle on the 3 gallon and a fishless cycle on the 10 gallon.

Jesssss

Reaction score
Since neither the 3 gallon nor the 10 gallon are cycled I would go ahead and move everything from the 3 gallon including the water over to the 10 gallon and let the 10 gallon cycle instead of doing a fish in cycle on the 3 gallon and a fishless cycle on the 10 gallon.
So even move the fish over too?

Jesssss

Reaction score
Ok so I just set up the new tank put the conditioner for how much water I added plus water and all things from old tank..... How long should i wait to put my little betta in? Should I wait? Lol I have no idea I'm sorry I'm a terrible fish mom

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should put him in there now so he can continue to feed the cycle. You are a good fish mom since you came here to get advice on how to take care of him

Jesssss

Reaction score
Do i have to reacclimate him? He's in water from the old tank now but the new one is a little warmer than the old one right now..heaters off and set to 79-80 but my tap runs alittle hot its about 84 right now

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would try to cool the water down to what he is used to before putting him in there. Normally we acclimate them to the temp of the tank but in this case the water really is a bit too warm. You could just add an ice cube or two to get it lower before you put him in there.

Jesssss

Reaction score
Ok just put a couple icecubes in...now the filter seems a little strong and it's on the lowest flow.... I could put like a rock or sponge or something to lessen it right?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok just put a couple icecubes in...now the filter seems a little strong and it's on the lowest flow.... I could put like a rock or sponge or something to lessen it right?
There are ways of baffling the flow but you may find it isn't necessary as long as he has places where the flow isn't a strong.

IHaveADogToo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would suggest putting some sponge over the filter output. You can hold it in place with rubber bands or zip ties or string. Make sure the sponge covers the entire output of the filter, so the water flows through it, but also make sure the bottom of the sponge is submerged in the water. If it hangs above the water then it will still waterfall. I'm looking for a reference pic for you now.

Reference picture found
img_1958-jpg-jpg.jpg

Jesssss

Reaction score
Ok great yeah he's got plenty of places without current but i think I'm gonna do that with the sponge....thank you guys so much and I will definetly be back with more questions!! Lol

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The sponge will add more area for the bacteria to grow on too so it serves double duty. Please do keep us updated.

Jesssss

Reaction score
ABCB1739-4CD4-4D21-AA51-66F8E5BABD0B.jpeg
F1088765-61CA-49A2-9BD3-A01BDFEAA807.jpeg
9E40C88F-79B6-4E15-8E1B-E61B97791D40.jpeg

Here we go! He loves it! Im not sure I like how it's set up tho I'm sure it's going to change a lot lol

JadeMau

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok so I just set up the new tank put the conditioner for how much water I added plus water and all things from old tank..... How long should i wait to put my little betta in? Should I wait? Lol I have no idea I'm sorry I'm a terrible fish mom
You're not a bad fish mom, your just new, don't worry, everyone is here to help.

Aw! He's so cute peeking out! He's very pretty, too!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom