New Aquarium Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Koty, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Koty

KotyNew MemberMember

I recently purchased a fluval 5 gallon aquarium with with a built in over flow filter because it was on sale for half price at petsmart, I have no control :( but I don't know what to stock it with. I looked into gobies but I don't know a lot about them and I want to stay away from bettas becuase that's the "obvious" choice. Some other options I am considering are pea puffer or just shrimp. Any ideas for small plants? Demensions are about 12 by 6 by 10, just guessing. Thanks!

2. AWheeler

AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

3. OP
    OP
    Koty

KotyNew MemberMember

That would be great! Thank You!

4. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

5. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Dwarf puffer if you are kind of experienced. Shrimp tank if you want to try something new that is just a lil bit challenging and will expand your horizons as you will have to learn about shrimp and shrimp diseases to keep your stock healthy.
    I cant think of any other fish appart from dwarf puffers or bettas that in my mind could go in a 5 gal tank.

6. ashenwelt

It's a race to help the 5 gallon people! Lol.

BTW.... 5s can be a complete joy to behold.

7. AWheeler

AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Lol, I just re set up my kids 2.5 gal tank and was asking about how many shrimp could go in it. It is going to be for my kid though, I still don't have tanks smaller than 10gal. The 5's I'll save for when there "is no more room" and my husband says it haha.

8. OP
    OP
    Koty

KotyNew MemberMember

It just says spec but it has a 7000K light giving 7.2 watts so plants should grow well. Any ideas for plants?

I have a 75 I just setup and a 55 I found for free that I'm waiting to set up! :)

I understand puffers need to eat certain foods for their teeth but I was thinking about doing a high grade shrimp tank that will breed pretty easily. Any ideas? will most likely move some seachem black substrate from my 75 into my 5 so I was thinking either red or white?

I know how you feel, it's an addiction

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  9. ashenwelt

Hmm 7.2 doesn't sound right. Are you sure it's 5 gallons? Or might be the older model. Could yyou post a photo?

Either way, you can grow java moss, water wisteria, anacharis, java fern, many crypts and anubias. There are more but I would focus on these. After all... it's a lot to start with. And they will go awesome in that tank.

Oh and you can even amazon some of these.

Cardinal shrimp but you would need to go to Michaels and get some very din mesh to cover the intake for a shrimp tank with a spec. Some peoplle use stainless but there is some very fine mesh at Michael's.

10. OP
    OP
    Koty

KotyNew MemberMember

Sorry it's a 7.4 watt and I'm positive it's a 5 gallon. It hangs on the side and has a daylight and moonlight option.

11. ashenwelt

It's probably the older model then. All good. Actually has some better and some not. The light will be perfect for the plants I listed.

12. OP
    OP
    Koty

KotyNew MemberMember

The cardinal shrimp look really good! Will they breed as easily as cherry?

13. BeanFish

Dwarf puffers dont need to eat certain foods for their teeth, the enjoy eating snails but will take frozen food too. They only eat the inside of the snail too, like if they were to suction it, they will leave the shell alone.
    Red Cherry shrimp would be your shrimp to go.

14. ashenwelt

Different level of water requirements and they birth about half as many. Nice though... thinking of raising some myself.

Cherries are an awesome starter. Just and FYI cherry is a type and not a color. I breed blue dreams and red cherries right now.

15. BeanFish

Yeah, shrimp are amazing and the cherries come in so many colors it just boggles my mind. I would probably keep them but I am scared that my tap water is not good enough for them. I have pond snails which do fine but I am scared I have cooper or something in my water that will destroy every shrimp I buy, they are also not that cheap, maybe in the future I will buy a test one to see if I can keep shrimp.

16. ashenwelt

Get some rcs culls and test it. You would be surprised how hardy they are.

17. BeanFish

Gonna look around for them. I wanted to stock my future dwarf corydora species (gonna try to get them to breed) tank with shrimp. Thanks for the tip.

18. EternalDancer

EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

My hardiest, most active shrimp are by far the red nosed rhino shrimp (Google them, they're epic!), in a tank of rhino, RCS, blue dream, blue velvet, yellow, red rilli, blue rilli, and amano.

They won't reproduce though. :(
    Well, they will, but the babies need brackish and die off within a couple days. (Unless you start up a brackish tank, of course).