New aquarium green water!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by llfish, Jan 7, 2013.

1. llfishWell Known MemberMember

Hey there I set up my 75g on Friday, seeded it with all the contents including the hob from my 29g. It is decorated with 2 driftwood and many live plants, . I noticed the water becoming more and more green. I had all these plants in my 29g and the water was never green, anyone know why? I just tested my water ammonia is 0, nitrite 0 and the nitrates just showing, the temp is 78f, the substrate is geo system fine gravel. I am running a cascade 300 hob and a aquatech 20-40 (from the 29g) I ended up ordering a rena xp3 yesturday from ebay. It is not near any windows and the lights are on about 8 hrs a day. Is it just the plant tannins?
    IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0702.JPG
    IMG_0703.JPG

2. JunneFishlore LegendMember

Wow that is strange! I don't have an answer for you - sorry ....
    Have you done a pwc? I would do at least 50% and see if that clears it up

3. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

green water is a algae. what kind of lights are on this tank? you might want to drop the amount the lights are on to 6 hours just tell the tank settles in.

the water doesnt look to green in the pics. you can do some extra water changes, they might help with that. or you can get a UV sterilizer, they will clear up green water algae in no time.

4. llfishWell Known MemberMember

Weird to have algae in 3 days ;( No I have not done any water changes yet because it has only been 3 days hehe. I use RO water. I will do a wc in a couple more days and I have a standard bulb in there full spectrum I will reduce the photo period to 6 hours. It is strange because like I said all these plants were in my 29 as well as half the gravel really not alot has changed except obviously the bigger tank with more space and water!

hmm maybe I am just paranoid and it is the reflection of all the greenery :D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  5. MrsMorocco2010Valued MemberMember

I just bought a new hood/light for my tank and as soon as I turned it on, it made the tank look green. I know what you mean, it's not algae. It may just be the lighting and the plants. My tank was white before I got the new hood/light.

6. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

i know 10,000k bulbs can cause algae problems. you want a 5,000 or 6,500k bulbs for planted tanks.

maybe it just looks green like you said because 3 days is very unusual.

7. matsungitWell Known MemberMember

My tank water is greenish and I have UV on for about a week with no change. So I'm suspecting it's the food. I feed them a cube of frozen Hikari brine shrimp with spirulina once daily. Also, you might be using a green conditioner like AquaSafe.

8. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Is your tank close to a window?

9. llfishWell Known MemberMember

no near by windows, with the lights off it looks green still, hmm Ill monitor it for now and keep checking params every day, and when I do my water change on Friday see what it does!

10. Lilibeth_SeasongWell Known MemberMember

It doesn't really look like algae to me either. Could it just be a bit of bloom? Or the lighting?

11. SiggiWell Known MemberMember

If you changed to a new tank, you have stirred up a lot of microorganisms in your substrate with corresponding oxygenation. At the same time you might have interrupted the growth of the plants, as it will take some days before their roots accomodate and begin adsorbing nutrients again.
    So I think it is perfectly normal to have an outbreak in microorganisms - they are much faster at reacting to environmental changes and reproduce at speeds that far surpass higher plants (gymnosperms - sexed reproduction in plants).
    Reuce light intensity more than reducing light period (e.g. if you have a two-light fixture, use only one bulb) and give it a weeks time to react.

Always good to start a bigger tank - the plants just haven't noticed yet....

12. llfishWell Known MemberMember

Awesome Siggi, that does make so much sense. I am sure it is just an adjustment phase.
    I lightly stocked the tank with about half of what was in my 29g. The other half is in my 36g (did not want to add all in case of a spike). So I am hoping I dont get a mini cycle and that things keep progressing! I am assuming that if my ammonia and nitrites are still at 0 and that I am showing a small amount of nitrate that if I dont add too much too soon I will skip the nasty cycling spikes.

I love seeded media! makes mama happy!

13. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

For a quick fix, using Micron Filter Pads in your filter will remove the green water:

Keeping in mind that it's best to get to the root of the problem:

https://www.fishlore.com/CloudyWater.htm

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/algae/107961-why-there-algae-my-tank.html

I use the Micron Pads in my filters and change them out for fresh every few days. These pads will clog easily and need to be replaced. To clean the pads, I soak them in bleach/water solution for 48 hours, rinse them, let them air dry and they are ready to use again.

Using a washing machine to wash these pads may create soap issues that you do not want.

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice