Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

New Aqua Clear Not Quiet. Is There Anything I Can Do? Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by lovefishgram, Mar 25, 2019.

1. lovefishgram New Member Member

Got a new 11 Gal tank yesterday with an aqua clear 20 filter to deal with my fry/snail problem.

Hooked up the new filter and it is noisy! Like I can hear the impeller constantly noisy. I've tried opening it up and trying to re-position the impeller per the instructions and it does change the tone, but hasn't make it quiet and I still hear "mechanical" noise.

I know its the same filter in my fluvial edge which is silent completely.

Did I install it improperly?
    Is there something about the edge that makes it quieter?
    Do they get quieter with age and, how shall we say this?...mulm?
    Should I take it back to the LFS?

2. CandyCane701 Well Known Member Member

It could just be air in there since it's new. Maybe try to reposition it a few more times the best you can. Then just let it run for a few days. My filters are always loud when I first set them up. After a day or 2 they're quiet like they should be.

3. lovefishgram New Member Member

Whew! Thanks, I'll give it a few more days. Thankfully its not in our bedroom and didn't seem to affect sleep last night, but I plan to have this tank in my treatment room and grinding filter noise is not what you what when you're getting acupuncture

4. CandyCane701 Well Known Member Member

Lol, yea. That doesn't sounds very pleasant.

5. Angelmom Valued Member Member

Are you using the leveling mechanism on the bottom of the filter? I find they can be noisy if they're not perfectly level. And the tops vibrate on some of mine.

6. lovefishgram New Member Member

I am actually using a piece of packing styrofoam between it and the tank to level it right now , and yes, the lid makes the noise worse so I just removed it for now.

I did try this and it helped for 15 minutes then back to its old tricks.

7. Brizburk Well Known Member Member

A canister filter is the quietest, i have a fluval internal canister, next to no noise. I use to use HOB, but even the quiet ones were too noisy for me.

8. lovefishgram New Member Member

Did you mean "external" cannister? The link is pointing to an external filter product. I'm not sure that possible in my 1 bedroom apartment, but is there an "internal" model that you would recommend?

9. Skavatar Well Known Member Member

i have a couple of Tetra 20i internal filters, the impeller/motor is in the bottom of the filter submerged under water, they are silent.

10. Islandvic Well Known Member Member

Usually only the larger AC's start to make noise, not the smaller ones.

I would try to ensure the U-shaped intake tube is seated firmly in place, so it's making full contact with the impeller assembly plate.

I have put mine back together after breaking them down for a good cleaning, only to not put the U-shapped tube back on correctly .

I have 2 AC30's and they are practically silent. My AC70 and AC110 will make noise on occasion though.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019