New angel with fin rot

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wednesday I bought a pair of pearl gouramis and 1 angelfish. They are meant to go into the 46 gallon but I put them in the 10 gallon for quarintine. In hindsight, I see I shouldn't have got all 3 at the same time. The male pearl is very aggressive. He chased the female all over the tank (and still doing it in the 46, thinking about taking him back to fish store) and nipped at the angel, causing damage to his fins. Well, now the angel has full on fin rot. I went ahead and moved the gouramis to the 46 to reduce the stress on the angel. But the angel is most def not healing. Anal, Dorsal, and tail fin is slowly degenerating and is edged in white (not cottony though). I've been using Melafix since the day I put them all in the tank. It's not helping. Maybe it's slowing it down but that's it. Yesterday I added 1 tsp per gallon of sea salt (pure sea salt, no additives, iodine, etc) per gallon after a 50% pwc. Overnight the fin rot has def progressed. I performed about an 80% pwc this morning, redosed melafix, and replaced salt for what was removed. I've ordered Maracyn 2 but it won't come in til Monday. What else can I be doing in the mean time?

Also, I've read about treating the fins with peroxide. It would require removing fish from water, painting the peroxide directly to the fins and let it set for 30 sec to a minute. I'll try it if I have to but it seems so drastic for an already stressed fish. Anyone else tried this with good results?

AquariaUK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm no expert, but the best cure for most things is clean, perfect water. Granted, fin rot needs treatment but the water needs to be great. What are the parameters?

I wouldn't try the peroxide, it sounds a bit risky... but that's just me. If anyone here has used it please speak up!

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I updated the parameters in my profile. Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, and the Nitrates are so low from all the water changes that I can't even get a reading (under 5 using API test kit). Before I started the large water changes, nitrates were around 10 with the ammonia and nitrites at 0. So the tank is fully cycled.

AquariaUK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Great. Keep dosing with the melafix, keep us posted.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What about the 1tsp per gal of salt?

AquariaUK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hcroark said:
What about the 1tsp per gal of salt?
Again, I'm no expert, but from what I've read it should be 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt, raised a bit

Here is a useful article I found online -
Online said:
Salt should really only be used to get rid of parasites. when used the treatment is very detrimental to anything in freshwater. the normal dose to treat for most parasites is to bring the salt up to 3 tbsp. per 10 gal. over a 24 hr. period, and let the fish bathe in it for no more than 12- 24 hrs. at any sign of stress it is suggested that you do a 50% water change and do one every day for 7-10 days(even then not all the salt will be gone).

it really is not a good idea to use salt in aquarium water unless you have fish that need the mineral etc. that are in salt, like lake malawi and lake tanganikan cichlids, and some livebearers.

most fish can tolerate low levels in the water but salt doesn't evaporate like water and the salinity can go way up if to much water evaporates and you also get salt deposits on everything around and near the surface of the water that can also cause problems if to much falls into the water.
IMO 1 tsp per gal is too much

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmmm. That's not what I've been reading at all. On several different sites I've seen 1 tsp per gal or 1 Tablespoon per 5 gal...... This is why I'm so scared of any treatment!! There are so many ideas and opinions on how to do it.

I might should add that most of the sources where I got that salt dosage was betta websites. I wonder if that could make a difference? So do bettas tolerate higher salt content than, say, an angel?

AlexAlex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
On any informational website that I have read about Angels and Fin Rot, it stated 1 Teaspoon of the salt for every 5 Gallons.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I done an 80 % pwc to get the salinity down.

Princess22

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I hope they're okay.

AquariaUK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Same. There is no scientific official number, maybe those are both alright.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Sorry to hear that your fish isn't feeling up to par. I would recommend that salt not be added as a treatment for your fish. It may actually do more harm than good. Check out the information in the link below, paying particular attention to the Summary:

One more link concerning the use of salt:
https://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article22.html

Treatments:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/feb08/fish-finrot.htm

Kanaplex also a treatment for Fin Rot. This is a very strong medication, use with caution:

Adding Garlic Guard to the fish food will help to boost the fishes immune system. I use it twice a week for all of my fish, added to treats such as Freeze Dried Krill, Red Shrimp, Whole Freeze Dried Earthworms:

Vita Chem for additional vitamins:

I also use this twice a week, added to the fish treats.

Best wishes for your fish! Fin Rot can be difficult.

Ken

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aquarist48, thanks. I ordered the kanaplex. I'm temped to order the Garlic Guard but this fish hasn't eat since I bought him Wednesday so should I even bother? I see that it says it will entice them to eat. Wonder if it actually does. I really wish he would eat.

Update: Surprisingly, he's still alive. Tail fin looks awful. I really hope the Maracyn comes in tomorrow. Maybe he can hold on til then.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Yes, fin rot can be nasty and awful for fish.

My fish love the Garlic Guard and it is said to be a food enhancer for fish.

If you do not want to buy the Garlic Guard you can make your own garlic juice from fresh garlic:

"Benefits of garlic:

Purifies blood; detoxifies; lowers cholesterol levels; lowers blood pressure; blood thinner; prevents blood clots; boost immune system; prevents heart disease and strokes; destroys cancer cells; muscle relaxant; antibiotic; antifungal; suppresses growth of tumors
Using a medium size bulb; peel cloves apart, snip off ends; microwave cloves for 5 to 10 seconds to pop hulls; remove hulls; cut the length of the cloves in thin slices; place in cup of hot (from tap) water; cover, and let sit at room temperature for 12 hrs; mash the cloves and strain for immediate use; refrigerate until needed. good for two to three weeks.
The longer the cloves soak, the stronger the solution."

The information above comes from the link below:

Storing Fresh Garlic:

Too, you can use minced garlic (in water) from a jar:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/minced-garlic-in-a-jar-just-an-example-for-those-needing-it.62705/

Any of the 3 will do well for your fish.

Best wishes!

Ken

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Update: He made it through the night! With only about 1/4 of his tail fin left :-(
According to UPS tracker, the Maracyn will come in today so I'm gonna do a large water change and begin the meds. Fingers crossed!

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Day 4 of the Maracyn. Fin rot has turned to body rot. He was stuck to the filter this morning he was so weak. Unfortunatly, I think it's time to euthanize.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads