"New and improved" 50 gallon reef

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by harpua2002, Dec 23, 2009.

1. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey all, it's been a while since I updated so I thought I'd post a few pics. We picked up another 20 lbs. of live rock from a local reef club member and added it a few days ago, so the aquascaping has been completely redone. The corals all seem to be doing well and I think we've rebounded from the period of neglect (sometimes personal issues get in the way of water changes, lol). What do you think of the new look?

Attached Files:

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

ooh, harpua, that's gorgeous!

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I drool over these SW pics.
    It looks great!

4. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

Thank you! It was fun redoing all the rock work the other day. :)

5. b

bubblefish Valued Member Member

Wow, that's beautiful.

6. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Wow-that looks FANTASTIC! Is that the tank in your family room?

7. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

Yep, that's the same tank. :D

8. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I dont know about improved( I think all salty members are brave ) but it looks awesome!! those are the type of tanks you wouldnt mind sitting in on a sat nite and juse starring at it with your :;toast...amazing

9. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

Thank you Shawnie! I call it "new and improved" because all the extra live rock that was added makes it look completely different than it did a few days ago. Plus, we got some freebie corals on that rock... the bright red mushrooms and blue clove polyp colonies are the freebies. I'm so excited- we were lacking a bit of red in the tank and now we have more! :)

10. l

lorabell Well Known Member Member

GEORGEOUS!~~~~~ Im drooling!!!!!

11. VenomGrass

VenomGrass Valued Member Member

Thats amazing!! That could replace a 100" TV! just curious how much do corals or whetever you call them cost. and is all that one big rock? or many rocks with corals on :)

12. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

It's many rocks with corals attached. Corals vary greatly in cost... we've saved a ton of money by buying a lot of corals from local reef club members rather than the LFSs. We shop at the LFSs sometimes, but the club has been very good to us. :)

13. VenomGrass

Are we talking thousands to establish a good set-up? Also when did you first get your SW aquarium. I only recently started with tropical. Bet theres a lot of work involved?

14. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

I've been keeping FW tropicals since 2003. I first started out with SW almost 3 years ago with a 2.5 gallon pico reef. It moved up to a 5.5 gallon, then an 8 gallon Biocube, then I sold the Biocube because I moved in with my now-husband. We started a 20 gallon reef together last November, and upgraded from the 20 to the 50 in July. Since the time we started the 20 gallon, we've probably spent somewhere around $2500-3000. :eek: It would have been more, but I already had the tank, stand and skimmer when I moved in here, lol. We've gotten lots of great deals on used equipment in addition to corals from reef club members. You can do it a lot cheaper than we did though if you go with a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) tank, or if you like cheaper corals than we do. ;)

It's really not a ton of work compared to FW, it's just different. For example, I do 50% water changes on all my FW tanks weekly. I do about 20% weekly on the reef tank, but also have to top off with RO/DI water to compensate for evaporation (so the salinity doesn't rise too much), and for water changes I have to wait for the RO/DI unit to make enough water so I can mix it up with salt mix to the right salinity.

15. D

David C Well Known Member Member

Your tank is gorgeous, you can always come to my house and set a tank up :)

Dave

16. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

Thanks very much David! I actually love setting up new tanks, so that sounds fantastic lol.

BTW my younger bro is named David. :)

17. S

Steve McKay Valued Member Member

I like the new look,a lot!I look forward to seeing some Acans too.

PS.Where can I get five green stars?:;toast

18. VenomGrass

Thanks for that :) - It's my dream to work towards a large SW aquarium. I'd say the moneys worth it if it looks anywhere near as good as your tank. I'll keep a look out for any pics you upload :)

19. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

New pics! The yellow guy was added yesterday. It's a twinspot hogfish, very cool to watch. :)

Attached Files:

20. S

Steve McKay Valued Member Member

Nice,the placement of your corals makes everything look so good.:;perfect

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice