"New and improved" 50 gallon reef

1. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey all, it's been a while since I updated so I thought I'd post a few pics. We picked up another 20 lbs. of live rock from a local reef club member and added it a few days ago, so the aquascaping has been completely redone. The corals all seem to be doing well and I think we've rebounded from the period of neglect (sometimes personal issues get in the way of water changes, lol). What do you think of the new look?

Attached Files:

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

ooh, harpua, that's gorgeous!

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I drool over these SW pics.
    It looks great!

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Thank you! It was fun redoing all the rock work the other day. :)

5. bubblefish Member Member

Wow, that's beautiful.

6. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Wow-that looks FANTASTIC! Is that the tank in your family room?

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yep, that's the same tank. :D

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I dont know about improved( I think all salty members are brave ) but it looks awesome!! those are the type of tanks you wouldnt mind sitting in on a sat nite and juse starring at it with your :;toast...amazing

9. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Thank you Shawnie! I call it "new and improved" because all the extra live rock that was added makes it look completely different than it did a few days ago. Plus, we got some freebie corals on that rock... the bright red mushrooms and blue clove polyp colonies are the freebies. I'm so excited- we were lacking a bit of red in the tank and now we have more! :)

10. lorabell Well Known Member Member

GEORGEOUS!~~~~~ Im drooling!!!!!

11. VenomGrass Member Member

Thats amazing!! That could replace a 100" TV! just curious how much do corals or whetever you call them cost. and is all that one big rock? or many rocks with corals on :)

12. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

It's many rocks with corals attached. Corals vary greatly in cost... we've saved a ton of money by buying a lot of corals from local reef club members rather than the LFSs. We shop at the LFSs sometimes, but the club has been very good to us. :)

13. VenomGrass Member Member

Are we talking thousands to establish a good set-up? Also when did you first get your SW aquarium. I only recently started with tropical. Bet theres a lot of work involved?

14. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I've been keeping FW tropicals since 2003. I first started out with SW almost 3 years ago with a 2.5 gallon pico reef. It moved up to a 5.5 gallon, then an 8 gallon Biocube, then I sold the Biocube because I moved in with my now-husband. We started a 20 gallon reef together last November, and upgraded from the 20 to the 50 in July. Since the time we started the 20 gallon, we've probably spent somewhere around $2500-3000. :eek: It would have been more, but I already had the tank, stand and skimmer when I moved in here, lol. We've gotten lots of great deals on used equipment in addition to corals from reef club members. You can do it a lot cheaper than we did though if you go with a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) tank, or if you like cheaper corals than we do. ;)

It's really not a ton of work compared to FW, it's just different. For example, I do 50% water changes on all my FW tanks weekly. I do about 20% weekly on the reef tank, but also have to top off with RO/DI water to compensate for evaporation (so the salinity doesn't rise too much), and for water changes I have to wait for the RO/DI unit to make enough water so I can mix it up with salt mix to the right salinity.

15. David C Well Known Member Member

Your tank is gorgeous, you can always come to my house and set a tank up :)

Dave

16. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks very much David! I actually love setting up new tanks, so that sounds fantastic lol.

BTW my younger bro is named David. :)

17. Steve McKay Member Member

I like the new look,a lot!I look forward to seeing some Acans too.

PS.Where can I get five green stars?:;toast

18. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks for that :) - It's my dream to work towards a large SW aquarium. I'd say the moneys worth it if it looks anywhere near as good as your tank. I'll keep a look out for any pics you upload :)

19. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

New pics! The yellow guy was added yesterday. It's a twinspot hogfish, very cool to watch. :)

Attached Files:

20. Steve McKay Member Member

Nice,the placement of your corals makes everything look so good.:;perfect