New Ammonia In Tap!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Lemonz13, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Lemonz13

Lemonz13Valued MemberMember

Story: I have lived in a dorm since last August with my fish tank. Everything was fine and dandy until we had a scheduled power outage. Now there is ammonia in our tap water .50ppm.

Could my tank be going through a mini cycle due to lack of oxygen in the filters during those 7hours?

Parameters since water change this afternoon

7.6 pH
    0.25ppm Ammonia
    0.0 ppm Nitrite
    0.5ppm Nitrate

I will retest tomorrow between classes

Should I just take the expense and get bottled
    "spring" water to change my water??

20 gallon long running since January 2016

10 gold Barbs
    1 BN
    1 Female Betta (gets along fine with everyone)
    A herd of MTS

I do water changes twice a week between 25-50% (getting a python WC next week)

I have two HOB filters that turn 325gph of water

I am lightly planted (expecting a shipment of plants Wednesday)

I usually just use prime, but since the extra ammonia I have added stress coat & stress zyme after this water change when I realized my tap was the issue.

2. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Since your tap water now contains ammonia, you actually added ammonia to the tank when you did your last water change. If the tank was cycled (as you say it was) then it should be able to process the ammonia that you are adding with the water changes within 24 hours. So if you use Prime with your water changes, it will detox that ammonia for 24 hours keeping your fish safe until your tank processes that ammonia.

I do not think a 7 hour power outage would cause you to lose your cycle, but in the future you could take your filter media out of the filter and place it directly in the tank. That way it will be in contact with the ammonia laden water helping to feed that bacteria.

3. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

In addition to what has been said above, do HOB filters keep the water in them so even though the flow stops, the media is still submersed in water?

4. OP
    OP
    Lemonz13

Lemonz13Valued MemberMember

Yes there was still water in the filters while the power was off.

5. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

Then your beneficial bacteria should be okay, although if it happens again I do agree it would be a good idea to actually put the media in the tank with the fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice