New Amano Shrimps With Betta

StevieBubbles

Hi everyone!

I have a 10G Planted aquarium with the below stock:
I have preemptively separated my betta, Fabio, into a hang-in Breeder tank so he can’t bother the new small amanos. I’m just wondering how long I’d need to keep him separated? I want to wait until the shrimp are bigger so he can’t hurt them, but I also kind of feel bad for the cooped up guy… I really needed the algae munching powers for my tank though.

All the fish are healthy and happy so far otherwise. One of the shrimp even moulted a day or so ago. I’ve attached a photo of them hiding behind the heater. It’s not too clear as it’s zoomed in because of an awkward angle… but they’re still quite small, maybe 3cm/1.18’’ max.

NH3=0, NO2=0, NO3=<5ppm, KH=11’d, GH=6’d, pH=7.4, Temp= ~25’C/77’F

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 17

fishydaddy

There will always be a risk of fish injuring shrimp, even if they are larger shrimp like amanos. Luckily, it's usually just a leg bitten off which grows back eventually. The ones you have aren't teensy, so they would probably be ok. For them to get full grown will take months, so I would add your betta back in if you don't want him cooped up for that long. I would also maybe get a nice chunk of moss growing if you don't already for the shrimp to hide in.

StevieBubbles

There will always be a risk of fish injuring shrimp, even if they are larger shrimp like amanos. Luckily, it's usually just a leg bitten off which grows back eventually. The ones you have aren't teensy, so they would probably be ok. For them to get full grown will take months, so I would add your betta back in if you don't want him cooped up for that long. I would also maybe get a nice chunk of moss growing if you don't already for the shrimp to hide in.
Thanks for the advice. I am considering keeping him separate for this week, then buy some moss over the coming weekend, then watch with wide eyes when I release the Kraken. :eek: The Betta hasn’t shown any signs of aggression towards the other fish, but then again, none of the other stock are quite so delectable…

Jerionslot

When I used to breed sparkling gouramis, I experimented with neocaridina shrimp to clean off the small carpeting plants and as well to supply the gouramis with food when the shrimp inevitably reproduced. The shrimp were the original inhabitants of the tank, being there about a week before I introduced the gourami pair, and after the first night there was only 3 out of maybe 25. I'd imagine it'd be the same for your betta and the amanos, just scaled proportionately.

StevieBubbles

OK, so I decided to bite the bullet and free my Betta from its confinement.

I’ve been keeping a close eye on him and his interactions with the shrimp. Everything seems fine so far. The Betta seems far more interested in stretching his fins and swimming about, than to pay them much attention. He swam by their hiding spots a couple times, but they just shimmy to the side or dart off to another area.

There are tons of hiding places between all the stem plants. They pretty much disappear when they swim into the leaves and stand still.

Regardless though, I will be adding in some moss to the branches here and there. I’m just having a real bad time with fluffy, wavy brown algae on all my stem plants. I’m adjusting my lighting, ferts etc. now to try and find a better nutrient balance… it’s a pain…

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Dan1o
Replies
Views
Leoriosbestie29
Replies
Views