New Amano Constantly Scratching?

Sakana魚

Well Known Member
Messages
579
Reaction score
166
Points
63
Experience
1 year
My new amano is constantly scratching itself? Is this normal? Should I remove it? Do shrimp even get sick?
IMG_20180505_200526.jpg


I also have a crystal red thats hiding from the new crystal reds, its pale. Is that normal? Is it just freaked Because I was waving a net around removing my HR? Its sitiing in corner not moving.
 

spike98

Valued Member
Messages
357
Reaction score
61
Points
63
Experience
Just started
The scratching could just be the Amano cleaning itself. Is it eating and moving around normally? Shrimp can get sick (from what I have experienced so far, also fairly new but have done some research and observations) but when this happens amanos usually turn a cloudy white throughout their whole body this is usually a bacterial infection or muscular necrosis, this also happens sometimes when they're introduced to the tank after being mailed. If you're really worried about the shrimp you could put it in qt but if it's not doing anything out of the ordinary I don't see a reason to stress it out more.
I have no experience with Crystal reds but a guess could be it's just not used to its new tank mates and after eating and a few days it might color up and be more social.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Sakana魚

Well Known Member
Messages
579
Reaction score
166
Points
63
Experience
1 year
spike98 said:
The scratching could just be the Amano cleaning itself. Is it eating and moving around normally? Shrimp can get sick (from what I have experienced so far, also fairly new but have done some research and observations) but when this happens amanos usually turn a cloudy white throughout their whole body this is usually a bacterial infection or muscular necrosis, this also happens sometimes when they're introduced to the tank after being mailed. If you're really worried about the shrimp you could put it in qt but if it's not doing anything out of the ordinary I don't see a reason to stress it out more.
I have no experience with Crystal reds but a guess could be it's just not used to its new tank mates and after eating and a few days it might color up and be more social.
You answered another question. I was gonna get some ghost shrimp from petsmart and they were white and I am like whats up with those shrimp and shes like idk its probably dying, I'm like yeah I am gonna pass on whatever that is. Now I know it was deff sick.

Yup acting completely normal aside from the constant scrayching/cleaning. Looking at it this morning it doesn't seem to be scratching much. So as long as its active with no discoloration I shouldn't worry?

Also the Crystals buddied up over night yay!
IMG_20180506_115841.jpg


Thank you. Shrimp are new to me and every little thing worries me haha.
 

Ryan P

Valued Member
Messages
312
Reaction score
89
Points
38
Experience
Just started
Sakana魚 said:
My new amano is constantly scratching itself? Is this normal? Should I remove it? Do shrimp even get sick?
View attachment 435741

I also have a crystal red thats hiding from the new crystal reds, its pale. Is that normal? Is it just freaked Because I was waving a net around removing my HR? Its sitiing in corner not moving.
I have 15 amanos on my tank and they do that a lot so that's normal,If they're not eating they're cleaning themselves LOL
 

spike98

Valued Member
Messages
357
Reaction score
61
Points
63
Experience
Just started
This is the white color I meant, it's full body is white compared to maybe a more brown clear color of the others. The one in the bottom right is not as white and may just be getting ready to molt. I also added a picture of a molt I found this morining half eaten, they eat the molt for the minerals I believe.
 

Attachments

spike98

Valued Member
Messages
357
Reaction score
61
Points
63
Experience
Just started
If you think the shrimp are unwell I was told Indian almond leaves are the way to go as it's not chemical and the shrimp like to eat them too. The leaves will release tannins and make your water a light brown color though but it has no effect on the fish and some enjoy the color. You may be able to boil the tannins out too.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Sakana魚

Well Known Member
Messages
579
Reaction score
166
Points
63
Experience
1 year
spike98 said:
This is the white color I meant, it's full body is white compared to maybe a more brown clear color of the others. The one in the bottom right is not as white and may just be getting ready to molt. I also added a picture of a molt I found this morining half eaten, they eat the molt for the minerals I believe.
Oh no these ghost shrimp where that solid milky white they turn when they die.
 

spike98

Valued Member
Messages
357
Reaction score
61
Points
63
Experience
Just started
There's a chance the shrimp will still live awhile being white. I have one that's white that is still kicking, if it was caused by stress of a new tank there is a chance it could come back from it. Like I said I was given some advice to use Indian almond leaves. My leaves have not come in yet but I'll tell you if it fixes the white one. I already think he's getting better and molting like the others, but he's still white.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom