New all male beta tank

1. kingguppy9000 Member Member

So I got a new reptile tank I believe it's a 55 gallon, maybe bigger, I picked it up with the stand for 20 bucks, already tested it and it holds water. So here is the project plan.

I'm using a lot of styrafome to keep the tank weight down, I'm thinking of building of it to have about 3 or 4 male bettas, all in separate 2 or 3 gallon pools, all connected by small streams. The center of the tank is gonna me more of a terrarium setup that is elevated above the water levels of the betta areas. A filter will draw the water, spit it out on some rocks like a stream or waterfall, that water will go to the first betta pool, then over flow to the second, third, and fourth tank, then finally return to the lowest level for the filter and heater in the back. Any thoughts or concerns?
    I know I have to keep the weight down since a reptile tank doesn't hold heavy weights very well. But I'm thinking I won't have more then 20 to 25 gallons of real water in it, the top is gonna be some rocks, maybe extra substrate, and moss. May possible have to alter the water flow though, I'm only using the filters to basically push the water, I'd imagine I'll need to individually clean each mini tank so I'll build them with access in mind, possibly may even add a air pump.

Obviously I will add, the bettas will not have access to each other or be able to see each other. Just though it would be cool, a multi beta tank with a larger flowing water system.

Also, before I get yelled at, yes I'm avare that it floats so I need to anchor it, yes the edges of the Betts tanks will be made of styrafoam, bull I'll be painting it then building walls out of stones or something.

2. Aster Well Known Member Member

3. kingguppy9000 Member Member

Not even close. I'll try this again though, I'm bad at trying to use my letter words to describe my inside thoughts, feelings, and ideas. Thanks a lot Marine Corps Infinity.
    Anyway here she is, the tank. 1466188944763.jpg

Now imagine this, it won't be filled with watet. Maybe half way at most. So in the back left corner, it will spit the water from the bottom of the reptile tank onto a premed little ditch with rocks and junk on it to make it look nice. It will lead and dump into a maybe 2 gallon or three gallon area that is all water, it will house a betta, that first tank will have two places for the water to flow out off in two different directions, those water outlets will take the water down more rocks and into two more betta tanks I'll do three maybe four, then lastly have the water dump back next to the filters intake. It basically best to imagine the tank as a terrarium, with a few multiple gallon pools for bettas.
    You'll probably just have to see it when I'm finished, not that I'm promising it will look good, I've never don't this before.

Just imagine something awsome looking, like George Washington shooting fools in the face awsome, right in their red coat heads, also imagine a bald eagle thrown somewhere in the mix.

Are you feeling me guy?

1466189912176.jpg 1466189922654.jpg 1466189960320.jpg 1466189966290.jpg
    Visualize the styrafoam as the actual tank space for two bettas. I may add a third. Now I am trying to set it up so that it has mush less then 15 or 20 gallons. Most of the area around those betta areas will be filled with a few layers of foam then rocks, moss, maybe a stick. It's basically just how I'm gonna have the water reach the betta pools, it will flow down to them, then over flow into the next, and so fourth, till it hits the last tank, I can then have it drain to a single hidden water collection area, then up the filter and back to the top to repeat it's cycle.

4. Angelfish2guppy Member Member

I can't wait to see how that works out sounds amazing. I would suggest some female bettas so even if they jump that wouldn't kill each other instantly.

5. kingguppy9000 Member Member

The tanks won't be touching each other, if they where the girl thing makes since. I could just make the terrarium thing to showcase two pairs of breeding bettas. Just a thought. Two for male bettas one for the two females.
    That might be a cool way to house them together but still seperate, just keep seperate breeding and holding tanks.

6. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Neat tank idea though, you'll have to show the finished product.:)

7. dandelion Member Member

I love the idea! I always considered trying to build something like this when I had a a few bettas. I think if it is landscaped right it would worth it. I guess my question is will each section have its own small filter? Maybe a sponge filter or something? Or will the whole tank have a single filtration that somehow takes from each corridor?

8. Ihaveacactus Member Member

I like the idea! I definitely think it could work as long as you design the water overflow areas carefully. You don't want to end up with a fish trapped in plants or spilling into the other pools.
    [​IMG]

Perhaps you can have small intermediary pools or creeks between the fish pools. It would make it more terrarium and meandering stream like. You could also use perforated clear acrylic to section off areas.
    [​IMG]

9. kingguppy9000 Member Member

Through betta mishaps though I will be sure to take fish safety in mind. I'm trying to get started with breeding some bettas so I have no need or want for them to chalk each other up. I already started more foam layering, hopefully it won't look to . I'll post more pics as I go.

10. kingguppy9000 Member Member

Project canceled, I may have come up with a new idea.

11. Ihaveacactus Member Member

Aw :( if you don't mind me asking, why? Are you planning for a different kind of fish?

12. kingguppy9000 Member Member

Decided I'd rather work with real rock. I just wasn't feeling the styrafoam. I kinda wanna make a fiddler crab tabk for tons of them. It would kill two birds with one stone.

13. kingguppy9000 Member Member

After getting about 15 or so more babies last night I realised I was either gonna need that one for holding more babies, or to hold something that will eat the babies as I thin them out.
    The gladiator in me wants to just release the unwanted fish in the low land/ 6 inches of water with like 15 fiddler crabs and watch, but I know I'd feel awful if I ever did that. I'm probably most likely to set it up like the low land water scenario but with only babies, I am to attached to all of them.