New Algae Or Lawnmower Blenny!

Discussion in 'Blennies' started by AZL, May 2, 2019.

1. AZL

AZLValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +63
    Experience:
    Just started
    The Salt Puppies (puffer fish) have a new friend - Derp Dragon (algae blenny). He grumped at me when put in the tank but seems really at home now. Any advice for keeping him happy is most welcome [​IMG]20190502_151414.20190502_170705.

2. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,082
    Experience:
    1 year
    Algae Wafers are crucial to keeping these things long term. Give him a couple of days and see if he starts chowing down on your hair algae (he may or may not) and then start feeding them algae wafers. Lawnmower Blennies have comical personalities. Went to my LFS a few months ago and my son and I were looking at the various fish in the tank. A Lawnmower blenny swam right up and plastered himself to the glass and just stat there staring at us (almost as if to say "Please Tank Me Home") He would curl his tail under him and sit on it so to speak. Seen this from a number of the Lawn Mower Blennies there over the last couple of years.

3. OP
    OP
    AZL

AZLValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +63
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hahahahaha yes, this guy does the sitting on his tail thing - very lively and personable straight away. I have algae wafers for my plecs and some frozen veggie mix - either or both any good for him?

4. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,082
    Experience:
    1 year
    Should be, just double check to make sure their aren't any weird additives (ie metals) in there.

5. OP
    OP
    AZL

AZLValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +63
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you! He's mowing the rocks as well as the glass, filters, heater casing, etc and I think he had some of the frozen veggie food. I got some marine sinking pellets that are mainly algae with some other things to round off the nutrition and he's straight on those as well :)