New Albino Oscar Is Flip Flopping?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Scottsallpro, Jun 23, 2018.

1. ScottsallproNew MemberMember

Hello again. Very knew to this hobby and very new to any forum posting whatsoever. So excuse my lack of knowledge guys. I looked online to find some answers for my albino oscar doing "flip flop", and i really havent received a definitive answer. So my question is this...
    New tank set up. Set it up yesterday. Got my temp right at 75 after that today i added a baby Jack Dempsey and a albino oscar. I have in my tank a black convict as well. All are small. They are all new to this set up, but it seems my oscar will not do much but stay on the bottom. Obvisously im worried about it. I fed them some small cichlid gold pellets and after that i put a small amount of blood worms in there as well. The albino ate and is eating, but other than that he is not doing much at all. Will this pass? Is he/she on the verge of dying? ANY HELP is much appreciated. Thank you guys in advance.

2. jenag145Valued MemberMember

You didn't cycle the tank beforehand? So what are your parameters of the water?

3. OP
    OP
    S

ScottsallproNew MemberMember

i do not know what cycling means or to tell the parameters.

4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Click the following blue words —> Nitrogen Cycle

I would suggest rehoming all of the fish or returning them to the store until you learn about that.

5. OP
    OP
    S

Ok. is this flip flop the beginning of the end for this oscar?

6. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

What do you mean?

Can you send a pic?

Did you even dechlorinated the water?

7. Solaire

SolaireNew MemberMember

For some reason this made me laugh.... Poor fish, hope you figure out whats wrong

8. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECOValued MemberMember

75 degrees is too low for an oscar, I have 4 oscars and oscars readily prefer 80-81 degrees, not having a cycled tank isn’t thw worst i just hope you’re using Prime while fish in cycling. Raise the temp to 80 degrees and put Prime in your tank Asap brother. You need that tank to have pristine condition or your oscars will get HITH(hole in the head) You decided your first two fish are gonna be super aggressive fish lol. Your JD and Oscar will most likely go at it so

Please just go buy some Seachem prime, dose thw tank every 24 hours and raise the temp to 80 or your oscar won’t ever thrive.

9. OP
    OP
    S

ok so my nitrate and nitrite levels are safe. my phis at 8.4 the water is hard and my alkalinity is moderate. the oscar has been OFF of the floor and swimming. how are these products to start?

Attached Files:

10. 83jaseValued MemberMember

Prime is all you need none of that other gimmicky stuff what's your full parameters are you testing with a wet test kit or strips

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2018
  11. OP
    OP
    S

strips.

is parameters all of the results in one? and just the bottle of prime alone with stabilize my entire set up?

12. 83jaseValued MemberMember

Do yourself a favour get the api master test kit the strips are rubbish and bottle of prime your commuted now with fishing cycle at least Prime will help them through the cycle

13. OP
    OP
    S

so yesterday i set my tank up in the order it says. got the temp to 75-78. brought my new fish in. fed them. just now i tested my levels. tomorrow im going to do a 25% water change. test levels again. go get the prime and api master kit and i think ill be fine after that. im not seeing anything that is dangerous even on these strips, so i believe for now i made have made it past the ignorant stages and the "did i do that" stages? or should i have concern?

14. yukondog

yukondogWell Known MemberMember

We as in everybody, started right where you are at. Your tank is not cycled yet, that will take awhile, what size tank is it?

15. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECOValued MemberMember

Raise your temp to 80 please, you’ll see a noticeable difference in your Oscars behavior. Also, buy PRIME and dose your tank. Oscars are one of the if not moodiest fish in this hobby, they exhibit stress very easily, they’ll let you know it’s apparent something is wrong when its bothering them.

16. 83jaseValued MemberMember

I'd be lieing to say I didn't do the same majority of us have but your commited now with fish in cycle just move forward that's how we learn what is the ammonia level I never seen that only nitrite and nitrate was OK not ppm tip in the wet kit bang and shake the heck out of nitrate #2 bottle doesn't hurt give the rest a good shake prior as op said your still in cycle once you get the readings from the api kit we can see where you are and prime will protect the fish during the cycle

17. OP
    OP
    S

i have raised my temp to 80. So thank you. and any advice i receive i am listening thoroughly. doing lost of research as well. so i again thank you for assisting me.

going out to get prime and api kits this afternoon and will let you know how things work out after that. again thank you for the help and i am listening to all advice.

55gallon tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice