New African Tank Setup

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by dre205, Mar 30, 2010.

1. d

dre205 New Member Member

hello its me again,

i have just finished my soon to be african tank. here is a pic. can you tell me whether or not that my new africans will enjoy their new home. im hoping to stock 5-6 electric yellow labs. i really dont kno what esle i wanna put with them, i might just go with a species tank. let me in on your thoughts. tell me what you think plzzz! lol thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I think using bricks is risky. Some can alter the water chemistry in bad ways. You really need much more in the way of caves & rockwork. Think rock piles that come near the surface of the water. You can get away with less but you still need caves to number in the dozens. As a guide, in my 180gal rift lake tank, I had over 800lbs of rock to form the cave network for my fish. That was for two rock piles that were about 2.5ft long, 18" high & 18" front to back (roughly). Lots of rock. You can have too litle but never too much.

3. OP
    OP
    d

dre205 New Member Member

yea i dont think thats gonna be the final outcome of my 55. im jus trying to get an idea for what i wanna do with it.

4. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

I have to agree bricks can do some pretty bad stuff to a tank. I suggest the flat pannel rocks and do the interlocking stacking with them to form all kinds of caves and walls if you wanted. I would interloop a few fake plants in the rock caves to give them a more natural feel to them. Aquascaping is so much fun! https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-videos/67679-new-set-up.html

There is the set up of my new 25gal. I like for my tanks to look as natural as possible....Minus the ship...lol

5. OP
    OP
    d

dre205 New Member Member

hey can anybody help me? how much wieght can a 55 gal hold? not the tankstand but the tank itself i dont want the glass breaking underneath it wen i add more decor to it. can anybody give me an idea? plzzzz i need to know asap

6. Nutter

It really does depend on the style of tank stand. If it's a stand with a complete floor supporting the entire piece of glass then the weight is only limited by what the stand can hold. You won't crush glass in a hurry. If it's a stand that supports only the tank edges then you will have to be wary of weight. I don't know an exact figure but you should have no problems with 80lb of substrate & then another 160lb of rockwork. I've seen some insane amounts of rock put into tanks that are only supported at the edges & there have been no problems.

Personally if your going to go nuts with the rock, I'd put a solid floor on the stand to support the entire glass floor of the tank.

7. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Dre205 You are a member on another site don't ya? I saw that same pic a few days ago on the other site. Welcome to FL. Is fun in here tho. :;hi2

8. OP
    OP
    d

dre205 New Member Member

yea i try to get different opinions from different websites its nothing aganist this site im on 4 other sites besides this one

9. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Nope is just funny. Small world. hahaha :;toast

10. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

I would suggest egg crate for the bottom. It is basic grating that covers flourescent lights. I wish I had used it in my Malawi tank, I fear the rocks will cause pressure points on the glass at the bottom. Personally I didn't put any plants in my tank because it wasn't really a natural part of their habitat, and lots of rockwork will give them some places to hide. Just make sure it is real secure.

11. OP
    OP
    d

dre205 New Member Member

well heres the newest pic. i call it the underwater aztec fortress! lol i think its a good theme i hope the africans will too what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

12. d

dee34 Valued Member Member

:)i think ur tank looks great nice job !

13. Nutter

I still urge you to find some rocks that you can use rather than risk the bricks. Best to do it now while you don't have too many fish so that you can empty the tank & take your time getting it right & siliconing any rocks that need extra support. At least there are more hidey holes than there were. :)

I notice that the bottom layer of bricks is sitting on top of the sand rather than the bottom glass. That's a very risky thing to do in a rift lake tank as the fish are going to digg the substrate out from underneath parts of the bricks. They dig in the wrong spot & those bricks are going to come crashing down. I strongly urge you to redo it again with the bottom layer of bricks bedded right down on the base glass. I know that's going to be a pain in the backside but not half as much of a pain as cleaning up a smashed tank.

14. OP
    OP
    d

dre205 New Member Member

well yea i get what you are saying but the bricks are stacked back to the wall and theres jus to much sand to be moving out of the way thats 100 lbs of sand in there.

15. kcarmartinez

My africans burrow under the rocks (which is why I wish I had put down egg crate.) Once they make a big enough hole, the shifting could make your rocks/bricks fall.
    Isn't there an acidity test with vinegar or something that can be done to see if there is anything harmful in the bricks? I also wonder if it would change your pH.
    I definetly like this structure better than the other one.

16. Nutter

Having more sand is even more reason to have the bricks firmly on the glass base. It makes no difference that they are supported by the back glass. That's actually a really bad idea & if anything will increase the likely hood of them cracking or out right smashing the glass. I strongly urge you to do the extra work no matter how much of a pain it may seem to be. It's not going to be half as bad as having a bunch of dead fish & the water damage to your home that a busted tank can cause.

The vinegar test is only to see if there are any carbonates that will alter the PH of the water. It doesn't test for anything else that could alter water parameters or be harmfull.

17. kcarmartinez

Thanks Nutter... I couldn't remember what the vinegar test did exactly. Just knew some people use it before putting in some types of decorations.

18. OP
    OP
    d

dre205 New Member Member

ok i got ya yea its going to be a pain in the rear end but like u said its not as bad as cleaning up a busted tank. thanks for your concern. ill post pics wen its done. ill have to remember the formation because i really like it. the bricks out the ph up to about 8.2 or so. i think they are going to really help the future africans for the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice