New African Dwarf Frog

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by Buggers, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Buggers

BuggersNew MemberMember

i had gotten an albino dwarf frog for my community tank. But now that I’m thinking about it, are they safe with cherry shrimp. I have multiple cherry shrimp in my community tank and I don’t want there to be any issues. My cherry shrimp are average sized and my dwarf frog is still very small. Like the size of a dime. Any help/tips would be appreciated.

2. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

It won't be able to eat them now, but once it grows it can eat anything that fits in its mouth

3. LilBlub

LilBlubWell Known MemberMember

I hate to tell you this but that’s not a dwarf frog! Dwarf frogs don’t have an albino form, you probably have a clawed frog. Those are going to get way bigger, about 9 inches for a female and 4-5 for a male. It’ll likely eat everything in your tank as it grows up. I’d recommend getting a separate tank for it.

This mistake seems to happen a lot, baby clawed frogs and dwarf frogs look almost identical. But dwarf frogs are very, very rarely albino, have webbed front feet, and sideways positioned eyes while clawed frogs are commonly albino, have unwebbed front feet and eyes positioned on the tops of their heads. Good luck with them, they’re really great frogs as long as they aren’t housed with smaller animals!

4. OP
    OP
    Buggers

BuggersNew MemberMember

The women at the pet store had told me they are a new breed of dwarf frogs. He is called a blonde dwarf frog, so not albino, blonde. He had the webbed feet and the sideways eyes. I mean maybe it’s not, but I think it is a new breed of African dwarf frogs.

5. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

I’ve seen the blonde ADFs on LiveAquaria.com. Not albino but maybe leucistic?

6. LilBlub

LilBlubWell Known MemberMember

I haven’t heard of those! That’s really cool. In that case all your fish and shrimp are probably safe. Dwarf frogs really aren’t great hunters, if anything he’ll have trouble competing with the others for food. I doubt he’ll pose any danger to the shrimp.