New African Dwarf Frog..help!

deannarae426
So I bought an African dwarf frog two days ago his name is curtis, and the first day he was thriving! Now he is just sitting there not moving and getting slightly pale and his knee cap and elbows are white!!! It’s not fuzz though... I got him a friend to help perk him up and the water readings are fine I did a bunch of testing today. WHATS WRONG WITH HIM?!

Update: since the new frog was introduced he is moving a bit more

Kiks
In my experience they aren't very active in general. Perhaps he was more stressed out the first day from new surroundings and now he's just settling in and relaxing a bit more.
If your water parameters are fine, you cycled the tank before adding him, the tank isn't too tall so it's a struggle to go up for air and the water movement is very gentle, I don't think there's anything wrong.

deannarae426
In my experience they aren't very active in general. Perhaps he was more stressed out the first day from new surroundings and now he's just settling in and relaxing a bit more.
If your water parameters are fine, you cycled the tank before adding him, the tank isn't too tall so it's a struggle to go up for air and the water movement is very gentle, I don't think there's anything wrong.

Thank goodness! And the white elbow and knees are okay?! I assume the fact that he’s lighter than the other is just because “no two frogs are alike” but I haven’t seen him go up to breathe either idk I’m just a new stressed frog mommy haha

Kiks
Thank goodness! And the white elbow and knees are okay?! I assume the fact that he’s lighter than the other is just because “no two frogs are alike” but I haven’t seen him go up to breathe either idk I’m just a new stressed frog mommy haha

I don't know about the coloration, but I do know that they can change in color slightly. I would guess it's caused by the change of environment.
When they go up to breathe they go really really fast. It takes them one second to go up and get back down again, so you might have just missed it.

TexasDomer
Can you list exact water parameters please? Not everyone has the same definition of "fine."

What size is the tank, and is there anything else in the tank?

deannarae426
Can you list exact water parameters please? Not everyone has the same definition of "fine."

What size is the tank, and is there anything else in the tank?
Ammonia <0.02
Ph 7.2
Temp 75
And just had a 25% water change
There’s two live plans a light filter heater and. Betta in a 5 gallon

TexasDomer
The tank has ammonia, and that could be hurting him. I'm not sure how you're measuring such a low ammonia - I don't know of any test that goes that low.

Can you list nitrites and nitrates too?

deannarae426
The tank has ammonia, and that could be hurting him. I'm not sure how you're measuring such a low ammonia - I don't know of any test that goes that low.

Can you list nitrites and nitrates too?
I have an ammonia reader in the tank
It’s reading that it’s safe. I also have the ammonia treatment if necessary but my other fish and frog aren’t having a reaction to ammonia if it’s the issue. I don’t have a nitrate reader but the water is from two days ago and I did a 25 percent water change today and yesterday so it shouldn’t be high.

Ammonia <0.02
Ph 7.2
Temp 75
And just had a 25% water change
There’s two live plans a light filter heater and. Betta in a 5 gallon
But he seems to be doing a lot better right now since the other frog was added!

Attachments

• B69FCCAF-0018-41C2-8D72-7138C797E855.jpeg
    B69FCCAF-0018-41C2-8D72-7138C797E855.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 84
TexasDomer
Those alerts aren't that accurate. Adding two frogs in two days could have caused the tank to go into a minI cycle. I would strongly recommend actually testing the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates (I'd recommend getting your own liquid kit) - your LFS will likely do it for you.

In the mean time, I'd be doing daily water changes for a while to remove the ammonia and make sure that water quality isn't the issue.

deannarae426
Those alerts aren't that accurate. Adding two frogs in two days could have caused the tank to go into a minI cycle. I would strongly recommend actually testing the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates (I'd recommend getting your own liquid kit) - your LFS will likely do it for you.

In the mean time, I'd be doing daily water changes for a while to remove the ammonia and make sure that water quality isn't the issue.
Thank you!!!!

Lucy
HI welcome to FishLore!
The frogs are probably fine. Mine a couple of mine have whitish knees. Texasdomer gave good advise.

It's important to rule out any issues with the water so knowing the readings for nitrites and nitrates would help.
Thank you for letting us know about the water change but any previous issues with the water can adversely effect them down the line.
That's why we ask and it's important for us to know.

I'll give you an example from my own frog tank. If I slack off and allow the nitrates to rise too high, I have one frog that will bloat. Once I correct that, the bloat will remedy it's self.
However, if I posted about a bloated frog without all the background it could be assumed he has dropsy, is constipated or some other issue when really it is something I caused from poor maintenance in the past.

From experience, with two frogs in a 5 gallon the nitrates can rise quickly.

deannarae426
HI welcome to FishLore!
The frogs are probably fine. Mine a couple of mine have whitish knees. Texasdomer gave good advise.

It's important to rule out any issues with the water so knowing the readings for nitrites and nitrates would help.
Thank you for letting us know about the water change but any previous issues with the water can adversely effect them down the line.
That's why we ask and it's important for us to know.

I'll give you an example from my own frog tank. If I slack off and allow the nitrates to rise too high, I have one frog that will bloat. Once I correct that, the bloat will remedy it's self.
However, if I posted about a bloated frog without all the background it could be assumed he has dropsy, is constipated or some other issue when really it is something I caused from poor maintenance in the past.

From experience, with two frogs in a 5 gallon the nitrates can rise quickly.

I’ll buy a nitrate test kit (and a better ammonia reader) right now! And thank you for the tip! I’m so used to just having a Betta that I haven’t really figured out the effects of adding frogs to the mix quite yet.

Lucy
It would be a good idea to buy a liquid kit that includes tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Many ofus use API's master test kit but there are others.

Is there a betta in the tank as well? If so, just keep a close eye on everyone.

deannarae426
It would be a good idea to buy a liquid kit that includes tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Many ofus use API's master test kit but there are others.

Is there a betta in the tank as well? If so, just keep a close eye on everyone.

Yeah that’s what I use for my ph testing.
Yeah there’s a Betta in there too but they ignore each other haha. The tank is also a new set up. I’ve had a Betta for two years and he was in a 2 gallon tank and I went to the pet store 5 days ago and bought Peter a larger tank because he was looking kinda sad and I came back and he was dead! I was so upset so I set up the new tank let it run for two days and bought curtis the frog and harry the Betta. So I already knew bacteria boom was gonna come up and it lasted like 5 hours I also have the quick start in the tank because they’re all new additions. I also didn’t take that much into consideration when my frog was starting to be iffy yesterday but he seems completely fine right now and his new frog friend that I haven’t given a generic name to perked him up. After he was added he started moving around again.

TexasDomer
So the tank isn't cycled then - cycling can take a few weeks, and Quick Start isn't the best bacteria to use - it's supposedly the wrong kind.

For the next few weeks, test often and be prepared to do daily water changes while the tank cycles. ADFs don't always handle cycling tanks well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
longneckloach
  • Question
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
Kjeldsen