New Adfs Won't Eat Need Advice!

1. Kam0724

Kam0724 New Member Member

So I recently got 4 african dwarf frogs. Three at the same time then went back and got one more from a different shipment. The last one I got has been mostly floating at the top and shedding its skin, won't eat anything. I have another regular ADF who is actually eating and doing good. Then i have two more tiny ones, albino/blonde not sure exactly, but neither of them will eat the blood worms or the pellets. At first I tried the turkey baster to put it in front of them and it didn't work so now I am using tweezer type things to hold in front of there face and they just sit there and eventually move away from it. I don't know what to do, I called the pet store about the one that is probably dying and they don't know what it is since my water is fine and it's not bloated. And I don't want the two white ones to starve to death. The only things in the tank with them are snails and two shrimp, which mind there own business.

856A2C51-EF2E-44D4-AAEB-D4866FD3D231.jpeg Okay here’s a picture of the floating frog maybe he looks kinda bloated now?

2. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    Kam0724

5042363C-C152-49C6-8816-6E99E0BB19C5.jpeg 2772CBFA-D305-4261-9D39-B42F7352AD1A.jpeg Some more pictures of the sick frog not sure if this bump under his arm is normal and the pointy part on his back.

4. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

You need to describe your tank parameters better: temp, water chemistry and so forth.

Second, bloating like that is often caused by a bacterial infection. Bacterial infections need to be treated immediately with antibiotics. Tetracycline and Doxycycline are both frog safe and available at most pet stores.

Third: frogs don't eat every day. If they are in a new, unfamiliar environment, they may need time to settle in. What was the pet store feeding them?

Fourth: chytrid. No, I am not saying this is an issue right now, but are you aware of it, and are you planning to treat your frogs for it as a precaution ?

5. OP
    OP
    Kam0724

The pet store was feeding them bloodworms. Ph is 8, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, nitrate 5, kh was in the 200s and gh was 70 something I can’t remember off the top of my head. Temp 78, 10 gallon tank. When I called the pet store all he said was it could be bloat and that can be treated with antibiotics but nothing about chytrid, I haven’t heard of it.

And that frog died, but now one of the small ones is acting different. Appears to be floating more often but still goes back down and attempted to eat some blood worms i couldn’t tell if it got any.

6. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

it's probably chytrid, but the bloating could be something else. the bumps behind that one's arms just means he's male. i'm sorry they died :( excessive floating is never a good sign.

i stopped feeding my frogs bloodworms after one got bloat from it and died. i fed her wayyyy too much, though, and i'd fed my other frog a diet of solely bloodworms for 5 years no problem. there's one brand that a lot of pet stores carry, san francisco bay, that's just nasty. i wouldn't recommend anyone feed that to their frogs. hikari brand bloodworms go through a more thorough cleaning, but i'd just stay away from bloodworms entirely tbh. i've read about too many other people having problems with bloat and parasites from them. apparently they're not that healthy either.

7. OP
    OP
    Kam0724

What do you feed them instead of blood worms? I think I have that brand I’ll have to get something else. I really hope my last guys make it. Is there any hope if it’s chytrid?

8. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

If treated aggressively, they can survive chytrid.

Other foods for frogs include other larva like glassworms, brine and mysis shrimp. - All frozen. Dehydrated foods do frogs no favors.

The chytrid sticky

Important - Chytrid Fungus in ADF's and ACF's

It's a serious fungal infection that is endemic in frogs worldwide.

All new frogs should be treated as if they are carriers by giving them a 10 day course of Lamisil Spray dips before locating them to their permanent homes.