New additions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Beeker, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Beeker

Beeker Well Known Member Member

One or two more visits to the store should finish my tropical tank. I filled out my Cardinal Tetra school up to 12. They seem happy. I got 3 Sunburst Gouramis to give the tank a splash of color. Next week, I hope to get 10 to 12 pygmy cories and maybe a couple of Sparkling Gouramis or Croaking Gouramis. Actually, I am strongly considering going to get those Croaking Gouramis now. Should I? I am pretty sure it was one male and one female. They were a bit more lively than the rest of the fish in my tank, especially the other 3 Sparkling Gouramis.

What do you all think?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm going to assume this is the 29g. If so, you may become overstocked with that many cories, especially with the pleco in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    Beeker

It is the 29. Thank you for your concern.
    I've been keeping a close eye on the water chemistry, filtration and swimming levels. The lower level is still quite empty of activity. There are plenty of hiding places and my little wood-chomper is never seen. I can get less cories, but I have read many times that they don't like small schools.
    After thinking about the last two Croaking or Sparkling Gouramis, I've decided against them. I'd rather focus on the last finishing touch.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You could do 6-8 pygmy cories?

5. OP
    OP
    Beeker

Yes, I could do that.

6. OP
    OP
    Beeker

Ok, got 8 Pygmy Cories.
    They are settled in.
    I thought they'd be a bit more timid the first day, but as soon as they were in the tank, they started exploring and teasing the Cardinal Tetras. I am surprised at how bold these guys are. They are already amusing me.

One of my Sunburst Gouramis is hanging out by herself. I thought I had 3 females, but I might have one male and two females. Two of them are hiding under an Anubias and the one is on the opposite side of the tank facing the corner. It kind of reminds me of a child being punished and told to sit in the corner. I lured her out with some food, but I hope she doesn't become sickly due to the other two ignoring her.

7. OP
    OP
    Beeker

Yep, I ended up losing her.
    I definitely have one male and one female left.
    My cories are not schooling. I guess I have so many plants and hiding places, they don't feel the need to. They only school when I change the water and when it is feeding time. Other than that they lounge; just sit on a leaf of Java Fern or Anubias as if they are sunbathing. If one of the Gouramis come to check them out they'll scurry away, but that is it. I guess they are too comfortable with their home to bother; just give them a glass of scotch, a cigar and a newspaper.
    At least the Cardinal Tetras keep the tank looking active and interesting. The Sunburst Gouramis do too. They just seem to like watching tv a little too much.

My brother is interested in setting up a fishtank too. I'll lend/give (haven't decided yet) him one of my spare tanks, probably a 20 long, and help him with ideas. I don't want to overwhelm him with do's and don'ts. I'll make sure the tank cycles properly and take care of the maintenance myself for a while until he gets accustomed to the pattern. That will give me another tank to fill with interesting fish. I've decided that Cardinal Tetras are a must for color and activity, but we'll see what he wants.

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry for your loss. :(

9. OP
    OP
    Beeker

Thank you.
    She was a bit off for a while and the male obviously preferred the other female.
    I wish I knew what was wrong. She would act normal and then act standoffish but there were no other signs. She actually was acting pretty normal the couple of days before she died.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice