New additions today!

1. SW5

SW5 Well Known Member Member

Hello guys!

My LFS had a great sale on oto cats today, and I decided to snatch up 4 of them! :D These guys are really healthy-looking and fairly active for otos. They are getting acclimated to my water right as I type this. Pics go up when they get released! ;D

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Oto's can be delicate & sadly many don't make it, if you can get them past the first couple of weeks they'll usually be ok.
    As the majority are wild caught it can take them a while to realise that wafers or veg are food so always put it in the same place, if you can put the veg about half way up the tank they're more comfortable off the floor.
    Good luck with them, I hope they do well for you they're one of my favourite fish :)

3. OP
    OP
    SW5

Yeah, I am being very careful acclimating them, I have been wanting some of these little buggers for a while, and just now got around to it. I will be putting an algae wafer in tonight for them, hopefully they can figure out that it is food soon. Tomorrow night I suppose I'll try zucchini. I will also be prepared for losses, of course I always am with new fish. I'll release them in a few minutes here, and then pictures will go up when they are a bit settled.

4. OP
    OP
    SW5

Pictures! They are all cruising about munching away on algae!

n0I6bHG.jpg

5ZXVYrv.jpg

Not the best of pictures, they don't come out of the planted regions very often.

5. Coradee

Looking good, they can be hard to spot in the tank sometimes you can stare straight at them & not see them

6. OP
    OP
    SW5

They are exhibiting schooling behavior this morning, much more active than yesterday. Still munching away! And yeah, Coradee they are hard to spot! I have this black and white striped rock in the unplanted side of my tank, and they blend right into the stuff, but thankfully they prefer the leaves of my plants, so I can always see them :p

7. OP
    OP
    SW5

Here is a pretty decent pic that I managed to get of one of them.

J01EbWw.jpg

P.S. Mods, I didn't know whether to edit this into my previous post or not, since it is sort of an update, so merge posts as you see fit.

8. Coradee

That's a great pic & a nice healthy Oto by the looks of it.
    Have you tried them with Zucchini yet? almost the minute I put a fresh piece in mine are all over it, even the babies are quick to get munching

9. OP
    OP
    SW5

I haven't yet, no, but this evening I will cut a slice for them. Should I leave it raw, blanch it, boil it, etc? They didn't even touch the algae wafer last night, so hopefully they will like the zucchini.

10. Coradee

I just wash it & put it in raw as it soon goes soft in the tank water

11. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

Aww cute! I love my otos... Very healthy looking :)

Had my otos for months and they still haven't realised that the algae wafers are edible! But they love cucumber and catfish pellets :)

*a picture of my catfish eating cucumber upside down :)*

Attached Files:

12. OP
    OP
    SW5

Trying the zucchini now! I ended up pre-softening it for them by putting it in the microwave in a glass bowl filled with RO water, then letting it cool in room temperature RO water. It is weighted with a never used fork with the handle in the substrate to keep it elevated.

Edit: Well, one of my tetras loves the stuff, but the otos have yet to try it. Hopefully they try it.

13. OP
    OP
    SW5

Update:

Someone, whether it be tetra or oto, has eaten a 1 inch hole in the zucchini. I suspect the otos, they seem fatter than yesterday. :p

14. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

i always put two pieces in... One for the tetras and platy and one for the otos... Once my otos get on it they basically stay there untill its gone

15. Coradee

If they have nice rounded bellies then they probably did have a good munch on the zucchini, mine are the same as lalas once it goes in there's always 4/5 Oto's on it & others waiting their turn.

16. OP
    OP
    SW5

Yeah, they're rather chubby now. That could also have to do with the abundance of leftover diatom algae on my plants, since my snail refuses to eat off of my plants.....

Anyway, all otos are doing well today, still munching away!