new additions to my 20 gal tank, beautiful chichlids

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by AwNuts, Dec 30, 2009.

1. AwNuts

AwNutsValued MemberMember

As some of you may know i lost the needle fish that was rehomed into this 20gal tank from my 55 gal tank.

since the tank was now empty i decided to add the following beautiful fishes.

2 Electric Yellow Chichlids (sm)
    1 Blue Kanyi Chichlid (sm)

my LFS only had one Blue Kanyi so i will wait until they have more so i could buy one more Blue Kanyi (sm)

The current lighting in my tank is blue so the Kanyi looks awesome in person.

hope you enjoy the pics

363.jpg

364.jpg

365.jpg

366.jpg

367.jpg

368.jpg

2. OP
    OP
    AwNuts

these fishes are loving the tank and swim alot. it was very hard getting a good shot of them so i had to switch my camera into multi-shot mode which takes 9 pictures in a sequence at a fast rate, out of those 9 shots i picked out the best pics of the bunch.

3. rae64

rae64Well Known MemberMember

Beautiful Fish!!! BUT, If I am not mistaken both these species need a tank size of at least 55 gallons. Do you plan to move them to your 55 gallon once they get larger? Otherwise you may want to find another home for them.

4. OP
    OP
    AwNuts

No these are the small size chichlids which only require 20 gal, i didn't want to get the medium fishes for that reason.

But i do plan on getting a bigger tank in the future to put them in so they can have more space but for now they will do just fine in the 20 gal.

My house is really big and i have lots of room to add more tanks. I currently have a 55 gal tank in my bottom living room as the main display. i have this 20 gal tank in my 2nd floor in an arch embedded in the wall (so this arch was really nice because i dind't need to buy a stand for this tank as the arch is embedded in the middle of the wall, the arch doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the wall, nice feature i may add). I have a second living room up stairs and i am thinking of moving my 55 gal tank upstairs and buy a bigger tank for downstairs. My dream would be to get a 1,000 gal tank and add a shark but it requires alot of attention so i may stick with freshwater.

5. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Awnuts, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Malawi Mbuna (the cichlids you have) can be very aggressive and should be stocked correctly. In a 20g tank, there's not a lot of room for territories or room for the aggression to spread.

How soon will you be upgrading them to a larger tank and to what size?

6. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

great shots...its like we have to take 100's of pics to get 2 good ones LOL
    but I agree with rae..labs and kenyi do NOT belong in a 20g tank..they will eventually kill each other from aggression and lack of space :(

7. OP
    OP
    AwNuts

I am thinking that i will be getting a bigger tank in less than 4 months.

my plans are to rehome these fishes to a bigger tank in the future.

My sister in law currently has 6 chichlids in a 35 gal tank for about 2 years now and they get along very well. surprisingly.
    At my LFS they sold two types of these fishes small and mediums at which at the time of purchase i thought that the small type of chichlids were best suited for the 20 gal tank until i decided to purchase a bigger tank

8. Shawnie

african cichlids are the exception to most rules....both of which you have...and always remember, what we see in a pet store, is almost always the improper way to keep the fish we love....good luck either way!

9. OP
    OP
    AwNuts

thanks Shawnie

i got great information on my female Kenyi and the electric yellow cichlids on the following websites

10. Shawnie

;) both of which explain they are aggressive..I can only speak from my own tank which is a 75g...I have both in that tank and couldnt imagine what they would do in a 20g...the more mature they get, the more aggressive they become...again , its your tank and I wish you well!

11. OP
    OP
    AwNuts

thanks, i am planning on rehoming them into another 55 gal tank or a 150 gal tank if i get a good deal from a close friend.

the 20 gal tank is temporary until i get something bigger.

but they are beautiful and i love them so far. i hope to keep the fishes with great coloration

12. Shawnie

africans are the closest ill ever be able to afford to salties..I just love all the colors and variations....I agree with you there for sure...but in your post #4 I just wanted you to be sure that they dont stay small and arent good for that size tank...I hope you can get a bigger tank because they are a hoot to interact with for sure....mine are always nutso !!

13. OP
    OP
    AwNuts

lol awesome, hope to have a great experience with these fishes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice