new addition !?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craig, Apr 6, 2006.

1. CraigWell Known MemberMember

i got a small red tail shark 2day 2 put in with my goldfish! my goldfish r bigger than it and i put my heater in2 my tank 2 keep the temperature at least around 24degrees but the temp. on my tank is always 27degrees!!! the heater was put in 4 a safety measure just in case there is a sudden drop in temperature lol like a freak snowfall lol!!!

so il watch and c how they get on i chose 2 put it in as J-Man said a while ago it is a hardy tropical fish so il c how it goes if i feel its not workin out 4 the sake of my goldfish i will give it bak but iv always wanted 1 there beautiful fish ! i gave my minnows bak 2 my lfs also

C W

2. vin

vinWell Known MemberMember

It's nice that you want to have a beautiful fish, but sharks and goldfish are not compatible for a variety of reasons. RTS are hardy, but that doesn't mean they are compatible with all species.

1. Goldfish are cool water fish RTS are not.
    2. RTS are semi agressive whereas goldfish are peaceful.
    3. RTS can be nippers and just may enjoy nipping the long flowing fins of your goldfish.

Also, RTS should really be in a tank 50g or more as they need room to swim and places to hide. They will also defend their territory if they feel it is being invaded. All of those fish in a 20g will most certainly outgrow their tank.

If it were me, I would bring him back.

3. OP
    OP
    C

CraigWell Known MemberMember

he may b semi agressive but i read they could behave themselves, if smaller than other fish and it isnt in a coolwater tank as such its in a tank at 27degrees which is what my tank without a heater is (heater now in as a safety measure) and my goldfish hav been gr8 at that temperature as from watchin 4 most of the day there has been no agressive behaviour shown as of yet and if the red tail outgrows my tank i will b sure 2 give it bak 2 lfs or does get agressive

C W

4. OP
    OP
    C

if im goin 2 get told off about this i will swap my goldfish reluctantly in and go totally tropical again but there has been no agressive behaviour shown there swimmin happily past one another and if the temperature is at 27 degrees and theres no fightin im happy but if u guys and girls dont like it i will swap in my goldfish

C W

5. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

No one's going to get told off here. Sometimes posts are perceived differently than the way they were intended. As long as you do your research, and are aware of the needs of each species you put in your tank, then that's it! We can only try and help each other out to make the right choices on what to put in our tanks, but ultimately each of us is in charge of that. Most of us simply want you to have a great tank of fish. ;)

6. OP
    OP
    C

u put it brilliantly gunnie lol

C W

7. vin

vinWell Known MemberMember

No one is telling you off, but you did come here looking advice, correct? (this was discussed in another thread, no?) I am trying to give you advice against putting a RTS with cold water fish such as goldfish. Compatibility charts indicate that this should not be done. Furthermore, in my opinion, why wait to see if there will be a problem? Why take the chance of putting one or more fish through undue stress?

Please take the advice as you wish. I apologize if you feel as if you've been told off.......it was not my intention.

8. JasonWell Known MemberMember

A lot of people recommend that goldfish should be kept in cool water, but it is imposssible uless you have a chiller to keep the temp down especially if you live in warm areas or it is in summer. Goldfish can tolerate water from 5C-30C, and when they were in the wild would have experienced this at different times of the year.

As to the Red-tail if its smaller it will behave itsef and in my experience is only agressive during feeding frenzys, ie. when you put in live/frozen foods. The are only not -compatiple on the charts because people say they can only be kept in cold tanks, but if the temp cant stay low, im sure goldfish as hardy as they are can adapt considering in a pond they would still be subjected to the same temp. Also sharks dont nip they usually whack the other fish with the side of its head/body and just chase it around.

9. atmmachine816

atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

I'm not going to voice any opinion here since I'm not an expert on goldfish and I don't want to criticize anybody's tank decisions. But I will say this, Craig it's all up to you to keep the rtbs in with your goldies, I think it would all depend on the fish if it will work but I'm not going to tell you anything to do except keep an eye on your goldies. I did research and bought a rtbs and he was fine for three months but then he started attacking fish that he had finally gotten bigger then such as my betta and chinese algae eater (the betta died and the algae eater is gone) but just thought I would warn you about that they can get quite aggresive or be really peaceful like J-man said. Either way it's all up to you and just take everybody's advice here and use it as you see fit and don't get offended by anybody. Good Luck with your fish. ;D and have fun

Austin

10. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Craig-

It is very hard for me to give advice about any fish other than bettas and otos but the tanks I have seen with just goldfish in them have been beautiful and so peaceful to observe. I don't see why you need another fish that would possibly cause a problem in your tank. There are other fish who are cold water fish and could be easily put in your tank who would not cause a war and damage the health of the other fish. I shall look up a list of them a little later and send them to you and send them to you. I would do it now, but I have company. I am sorry. Please do not be offended by what people here say I am sure it is said in the best of intentions to try to helpl

Rose
    :)

11. OP
    OP
    C

the goldfish hav been handed in2 my local lfs, im goin tropical again

C W

12. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Well, good luck with your tropicals! But just know that in a 20 gallon tank the rts will probably cause problems eventually no matter if the fish are coldwater or tropical...

13. OP
    OP
    C

lol i cant win here lol!! :D (i know ur all givin me good advice its just frustratin) i hope my m8 J-Man is rite when he says i mite hav a good natured 1 in my tank but no aggression was shown towards the goldfish he was swimmin happily beside them i read on the RTS profile page that they can thrive in a 10gallon or more and since mine is small il c what happens guys and girls certainly if there is problems shown towards my other fish i will hand him in if things get out of hand

Cheers

C W

14. atmmachine816

OOO I see you got a bristlenose pleco, maybe a Africn Buttefly fish would be a nice final addition to your tank.

Austin

15. OP
    OP
    C

i mite look 2 get 1 swordtail and a mollie or platy but reasonably big 1s

C W

16. atmmachine816

If you get those you will need a 2:1 ratio and might have fry problems or just get males or females but you will need more than one for them to be happy and so they don't get bullied by the rtbs.

Austin

17. JasonWell Known MemberMember

I say you get 1 male, two female swordies and some neons and a few corys!
    Back in Business Craig!
    Its good 2 C

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice