New 90L (25 us gal) cube tank stocking ideas

Cromid2

Hey guys, Ive a few planted tanks with cories, tetras, rasbora, aswell as some rams and dwarf rainbows and the likes. Ive recently acquired a 45cm cubed tank and was wanting to do something abit different with it - staying away from a planted tank altogether and things like bettas and the typical nano fish. Im thinking of having just a sandy substrate and lots of rocks for hiding places.. mainly because ive always wanted to try cichlids.

I'm aware the tank is small, probably too small for even a small group of Malawi cichlids, but have been reading up on shelldwellers and particularly Multis as they seem to be the best for this smaller tank size.
From my research though, long tanks are better than cubed ones, but cant find the answer anywhere whether a cubed tank of this size would be fit for a group of 6-8.

I have soft and slightly acidic water, which i know isnt ideal as they prefer it harder. If i were to increase the hardness of the water using crush coral or another method, would this also be suitable for them.

or..

is there another stocking idea of a cichlid or similar you'd maybe suggest i have a look at!

cheers!

carsonsgjs

A 45cm footprint doesn’t leave a lot of room for shellies, where floorspace is important for territories to be established. They also breed really quickly if conditions are right - I started out with two pairs in a 75cm tank and I have over 20 in there at the moment growing out!

Maybe a single apistogramma with some tetras that stick to the upper levels would be better for the tank size and water parameters?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JamesRush93
Replies
Views
Crazycoryfishlady
Replies
Views
Anders247
Replies
Views