New 75g

1. Striket85 Member Member

Hey guys. I just setup my 75g finally and added my eheim 2217 and led lights. I'm about to start the cycling and I added PFS. I want to build a colorful and fun community tank around 6 Bolivian Rams. Any advice would be appreciated! I also want to do only live plants and no fake ornaments. I am going for a low tech tank but I do want to try to plant it as heavily as possible. Thank you!

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Are you trying to stick with a South American theme?

Here's an idea for a biotope setup (all fish found in the wild together):

10-16x Head and Tail light tetra
    10-16x False Penguin Tetra
    8x Corydoras (Brochis) splendens
    6x Bolivian ram

3. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

TexasDomer gave a great suggestion

If you want to do something that isn't necessarily a biotope, I think this would be a nice stock

6 Bolivian Rams
    8 Aeneus Cory's
    1 Angelfish/2 Pearl Gourami/2 Festivums
    10 Rummynose Tetra
    10 Lemon Tetra

You could also think about doing 1 large fish that would be peaceful that would get along with your bolivians. 1 Blood Parrot would be a suggestion. Or maybe a snakeskin gourami. In that case I'd probably eliminate one school of fish and bump the other up to about 15 and eliminate the third line in my suggestion. Both can be very peaceful. But not sure if you want your rams to be the focal point or not. Another suggestion would be a rotkeil severum. Some say they don't get as large as the normal green/gold severums. But not sure how true that is.

4. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

If you are just running the 2217 you need to look into adding another filter before you are fully stocked.

5. Striket85 Member Member

Really? The guy I bought the tank from had it fully stocked and in aqadvisor it says that it's more than sufficient... But if that is the case then I won't fully stock it...

6. Striket85 Member Member

I'm not opposed to a biotope or anything. I just want a colorful and fun tank for my 2 year old daughter along with either 1 awesome large show fish or a pair or two of some fun personality fishes...

7. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

The general rule is volume x 10 should be your gph. Some people say volume x 5 is ok for canisters but I disagree as the canister gph will decrease as you fill it with media.

The 2217 has 264 gph. You'd probably at least want 400 gph minimum. 700 would be better

8. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

A 2217 is 264 gph empty. That means no media and no filter pads.

9. Striket85 Member Member

Alright well I'll look into adding another filter in the future, somewhere between near and far lol. My stocking ideas are going to be taken from tyguy.

1 - Redhead Severum
    6 - Bolivian Rams
    15 - Lemon Tetras
    8 - Bronze Cory's

I'm going to start with plants first though so what would be a good start for plants for my low-tech tank? I want to have a variety and I was hoping to do some ground covering as well.

10. Striket85 Member Member

So that would slow down with the media and filters?

11. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes it would decrease. If it were me I'd spring for a sun sun 404 or 304. Both have over 500 gph. If money is no prob then you could spring for one of the bigger nicer eheims. For instance on my 75 I will have a 403b (370 gph) and a 404b (525 gph).

I'd start with some low maintenance crypt wendtii and wysteria. Ground cover is difficult in a low tech tank. You could try dwarf sag. But plants are not my forte

12. Striket85 Member Member

Oh wow, that 404b isn't too expensive at all. I was dreading $250+... that's doable, thanks!

13. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah it's an off brand so you save quite a bit. Some have said they don't last but I've been running mine for over a year with zero problems. I know others in other forums that have been running theirs much longer

14. Striket85 Member Member

That's awesome. Thanks for the heads up

15. Striket85 Member Member

Alright so I ordered the sun sun 404b along with other misc stuff. With the fish given, would glass tops be advised? I broke the ones I have...

16. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Glass tops are fine. I always keep tops on my tanks. Call me paranoid but i don't want my kids throwing junk in there. Nor do I want the fish jumping out

17. Striket85 Member Member

Yeah I had a red tailed shark commit suicide on me but it was in a tiny tank way too small for him when I got my first tank ever...