New 75g tank build!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by schwanz583, Jul 11, 2015.

1. schwanz583

schwanz583 New Member Member

So I bought a used 75g on Craigslist that looked really clean from a one owner. It was a salt water reef, but now it will be my new cichlid mbuna tank!!! I re sealed it because a couple of parts looked a little worn. Now I'm water testing it on a new stand that I built (stand isn't finished yet)

As I was filling it with water for my initial water test, the tank was making really small creeking sounds that I assume is just from water pressure. But still sounded pretty scary to me ( my first large tank, new to the hobby) is this normal or should I worry?! Thanks guys, I'll post pics when I can!!!

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Creeking sounds should not be normal. I have a 75g also and it doesn't do that when I fill it up...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    schwanz583

Hmm.... That's scares me more now haha, even if it's been empty for a couple of months?

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I would be a little worried. You said you re sealed it? Hmm could be something wrong from the re seal. Let it run for a while to see what happens. since its going to be a cichlid tank, there will be a lot more weight added because of the rocks and stuff, I would be cautious

5. Dom90

You said the stand isn't finished yet. Could that be it?

6. OP
    OP
    schwanz583

Man I sure hope not, everything looks good with it, is a lot better looking than the original deal that I removed. Pretty simple process and I've never had one leak before ( smaller tanks though)

7. AquaticBrandon

Or yeah it could be from the new stand

8. OP
    OP
    schwanz583

The stand was making some sound as well, but I herd really faint sounds like glass moving. My dad just said its the glass from the water pressure and nothing to worry about, but I wanted to check with you guys as well

image.jpg

image.jpg

There's a couple of pics of it full now, no more sounds now that it's full

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
  9. Dom90

Yea I don't think that's very reassuring though...

10. OP
    OP
    schwanz583

I did a quick search on google and found a site called plantedtank.net and a guy asked about the same thing, a lot of members said they have herd the same thing on their tanks, that makes me feel a little better, but I'm still a little leery

11. OP
    OP
    schwanz583

It's been 48hrs since I filled it and it's bone dry under and around the tank. I think I'm out of the woods for now.

12. AquaticBrandon

Good to hear that that nothing happened. The noise must've been from when you were filling up the tank then

13. OP
    OP
    schwanz583

Yeah I think so too. I let it sit for 5 days and nights and had no issues at all. Added substrate today and moved the tank inside!! Will update my build with pics as it goes along!
    image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

14. Dom90

Looks good so far! What kind of substrate is that?

15. OP
    OP
    schwanz583

Pool filter sand, it looks dark in the tank, but is a lot lighter with water and light on it. It's the same as the substrate in my 30 gallon next to it.

16. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Good choice on sand for a mbunas tank. Looking good. But cause your going to have a mbuna tank that needs rockworks your suppose to place the rocks first on the glass then the sand. Is dangerous the other way around. Mbunas dig and if the rocks in not on the glass they will dig under it...

17. OP
    OP
    schwanz583

I acually added eggshale (I think that what they call it) under the substrate so there will be no contact with glass. I added a piece of hokey rock today and placed it down directly on top of the plastic screen so the rock won't actually touch the glass when they dig

18. OP
    OP
    schwanz583

Attached Files:

19. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Egg crate is no needed. Just make sure the rocks you place are directly on the egg grate. So they cant get under it.

20. OP
    OP
    schwanz583

image.jpg
    Heres a pic of it now, tried to upload before but looks like it didn't for some reason...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice