Help New 75 gallon

Reel lady fishing

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok, so i finally got to filling my 75 about 4-5 days ago. When doing that I added in my Aqueon water conditioner and just this morning I went out and I got some beneficial liquid bacteria for the aquarium. I poured it in this afternoon at about 3 o'clock. I have a yellow Gurami from my 29 gallon tank and I was wondering if I can put it in today just to get the poop cycling. Can I?

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay, so you added the bacteria to the tank but have no ammonia source (100% pure ammonia or fish)? If that is the case, your bacteria you added will die. They need an ammonia source to get your cycle going. I would not use a gourami for cycling unless that is your only option. There is no promise that the fish will survive the cycling. If it doesnt, you will need to add more fish to keep producing ammonia or do fishless cycle with 100% pure ammonia.

Hashfrowns77

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you don't have an ammonia source, you could use the shrimp approach. Buy some raw shrimp and put them in a mesh bag (that makes cleanup easier) and drop them in your tank. The decay releases ammonia pretty steadily.

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That is an antiquated method of providing ammonia. There is no control over how much is released, plus you will get more bacteria to form that will eat the actual shrimp instead of converting the ammonia that occurs when it decays enough.. Using pure ammonia or actual living fish, will guaranteed work.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom