New 75 gallon Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Reel lady fishing, Jul 18, 2015.

1. R

Reel lady fishing Valued Member Member

Ok, so i finally got to filling my 75 about 4-5 days ago. When doing that I added in my Aqueon water conditioner and just this morning I went out and I got some beneficial liquid bacteria for the aquarium. I poured it in this afternoon at about 3 o'clock. I have a yellow Gurami from my 29 gallon tank and I was wondering if I can put it in today just to get the poop cycling. Can I?

2. H

Hashfrowns77 New Member Member

Have you tested the water?

3. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

If you added the bacteria it might be super high in ammonia. Don't add the fish until you test the water!

4. OP
    OP
    R

Reel lady fishing Valued Member Member

How do I test that? I have this... The nitrite and nitrate are neutral, both at 0. I have the API test strips

5. H

If both of those are neutral, then that means the bacteria haven't converted the ammonia to nitrites yet. Don't add the fish yet.

6. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

API test strips don't test ammonia, and unfortunately are very inaccurate. For accurate readings but an API master test kit! that will test ammonia for you.

7. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Okay, so you added the bacteria to the tank but have no ammonia source (100% pure ammonia or fish)? If that is the case, your bacteria you added will die. They need an ammonia source to get your cycle going. I would not use a gourami for cycling unless that is your only option. There is no promise that the fish will survive the cycling. If it doesnt, you will need to add more fish to keep producing ammonia or do fishless cycle with 100% pure ammonia.

8. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

To the OP, didn't you used to own a saltwater tank?....

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. H

If you don't have an ammonia source, you could use the shrimp approach. Buy some raw shrimp and put them in a mesh bag (that makes cleanup easier) and drop them in your tank. The decay releases ammonia pretty steadily.

10. alink

That is an antiquated method of providing ammonia. There is no control over how much is released, plus you will get more bacteria to form that will eat the actual shrimp instead of converting the ammonia that occurs when it decays enough.. Using pure ammonia or actual living fish, will guaranteed work.

11. H

But it's cruel to use live fish.

12. alink

If you use a product like Tetra Safe Start+, and fish that arent super sensitive to the water parameters, it can easily be done with no harm.

Yes, fishless is better, but with something you can control, like drops of pure ammonia.

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would get the API liquid test kit as mentioned, it's more accurate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice