New 75 gallon tank

1. Coupleoffish Initiate Member

:;dete
    Hi all. My husband and I just got a new 75gallon tank last week, so we are still in the process of cycling the tank. We have an eheim 2250 filter with a deep blue solar max he 2 tube light the temp is 76.8F ph has been 7.4 to 7.6. Once cycled our common pleco is moving in from our 29 gallon as well as the platys and our 2 albino Corey cats. We plan to expand the number of Corey cats to 8. Any ideas of what else we could add? We were considering rainbow fish or gourami, perhaps a pair of pearls? I have Java fern and water sprite already any other low tech plant ideas?

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to FishLore!

You could do, like, a trio or so of Pearl's. Maybe up to 5, but I'm not too sure.

More Cories are good, and there are plenty of smaller Rainbows to choose from (small, because your Pleco is a poop machine, which I'm sure you already know ;)). You might find some of the medium size Tetras nice. I really like Diamond Tetras. Very pretty :)

What sort of fish catch your eye? That would help us a lot :)

For plants, you have a lot of choices! Wisteria, Anubias, ferns, most mosses, any floating plant, crypts...

3. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I'd do some sort of 3 spot gourami. Maybe get a school of rainbows? They would be fine IMO they are super pretty and active. I'd also maybe get a school of tetras or something. Maybe an angel too.

4. Coupleoffish Initiate Member

Hi what's IMO? I was thinking of adding some different colored pkaties to my mix. What about Bolivian rams? Any ideas for what kind if schooling tetra? Maybe lemon?

5. josh7 Well Known Member Member

IMO means in my opinion. I would do a final stocking of

3 pearl gouramis ( try to get 1 male 2 females)
    8 alibino cories
    8 bosemani rainbows
    1 common pleco
    1 male platy 5 females if you want babies or 6 males or 6 females if you don't want babies.

6. deon junior Member Member

i think that this would look great in your tank.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Congrats on the new aquarium! :)

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Attached Files:

8. Coupleoffish Initiate Member

Thanks everyone. I was reading about congo tetra's last night any thoughts on those? Also any thoughts on Bolivian ram? Thanks for all the great advice so far. I added some bog wood and a watersprite plant yesterday. The substrate is sand.

9. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I don't have any first hand experience with congos but I hear they do great in planted tanks. As for rams I personally prefer kribensis cichlids better. I would get a pair of them. I've never had any luck with rams at all.

10. josh7 Well Known Member Member

It's hit or miss with congo tetras some are peaceful while others will destroy gourami fins if you want those. You could get maybe a pair of Bolivian ram but watch for aggression from it. Also I forgot to say you have to keep up on weekly water changes because you have a common pleco A.K.A a poop machine. A stock list you could do if you want the tetras and ram is

2 bolivian rams
    8 Congo tetras
    1 common pleco
    8 alibino corys
    6 platys.
    2 Bolivian rams

11. Coupleoffish Initiate Member

Hi again
    How about emperor tetras maybe 8 with 8 Corey's the poop machine lol and a few platies? I added 2 congo Anubis, 1 nano, 2 java fern, 1amazon sword, one Indian fern to the tank. Looking great. My hubby and I are excited.

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

I'm sure I'm all alone in this, but my larger rainbows (turquoise, boesmani and yellow) outgrew the 90. I thought they were fine until (and including when) I put them in the 125. I would never consider moving them back to a 4 foot tank.

Congos are better suited to the tank - tetras aren't nearly as active as rainbows.

Pearl gouramis are group oriented fish, so 3-5 would be good for the tank.

here are my 7 congos in the 75. They are grown and very large compared to whats usually available at the store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CHfFHfVRQw

13. Coupleoffish Initiate Member

Does anyone know if I tie Congo anubias to a rock or wood just as you would java fern? We are leaning towards stocking with the common pleco, building our school or albino coreys to 8 (currently 2), some various colors of platy ( we already have 7 red swag) and gourami. No it just comes down to wild dwarf or pearl. Any thoughts? Thanks again for everyone's amazing help.

14. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would not do a common pleco they just get too big. They need 125+ what about a clown pleco, BN pleco, or a rubber lip pleco?

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I am very happy with my school of 5 pearls in the 90.

16. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I will say I have been starting up a nice school of rainbows (diff species) in my 75gal and yeah they use the whole tank, if I had the space I would glady give them more but they are doing ok.

17. Squirtle =) Member Member

Id go with something like this personally.

2x angels Middle-top
    2-4X rams Bottom-Middle
    10X cardinals -Middleish
    10X lemons- Top
    1X common pleco (Will out grow a 75G)- Bottom
    2X albino corys - Bottom
    4X stebria corys - Bottom

That way you have a nice cover around the tank and a good mix of color also.

18. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

why so few corys in a 75?

19. Squirtle =) Member Member

to give the pleco more room his gonna grow and needs as much of the bottom he can get lol

20. Coupleoffish Initiate Member

Thanks for all the great ideas. Still waiting on the cycle....