new 75 gallon tank, sunsun canister filters quality

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by 3aquariums, Dec 14, 2012.

1. 3

3aquariums Valued Member Member

My boyfriend is helping me get a new aquarium for christmas. Tis a standard 75 gallon with stand. I was wondering what is the opinion of the SunSun Filter line? I'm looking at two of these for it because I filter for double the aquarium gallons. I'm also trying to keep costs down. Thanks for your help!
    SunSun HW-302 3-Stage External Canister Filter, 264 gph

and what brand/model of filter pads does it use?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I have the Same model Aquatop which is the same filter on a 55g and it does great, I just buy cut to fit media for filters, it seems cheaper. You may want a secondary filter as this canister would only turn your tank over 3.5x times, a little shy of the 5+ usually recommended for canisters.

3. OP
    OP

3aquariums Valued Member Member

I'll look on amazon for cut to fit pads. Thanks!

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to the forum

I have several of the sunsuns and like them very much. Can't do better, for the money. I also run 2 canisters on all my bigger tanks because it keeps them spotless. The 125 has an XP4 and a 525 GPH sunsun, the 90 an XP3 and a 525 GPH, the 75 an XP3 and a 370 GPH, and the 55 an XP2 and a 265 GPH. Notice the trend there ;)

I think you should get a 370 and a 265 for your 75. Were it me I would get 2 370s.

All of my filters are set up the same way - fluval ceramic prefilters in the first tray, mechanical media (which they provide) in the second, and then biomax in the rest. The filters can hold a massive amount of media.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice