New 75 gallon tank setup issues

Thesalient
Been keeping fish for 7 years , I have a 55,125 and now a 75, fully aware of the cycle, I have had other tanks as well, I have cycled fish in and fish out, I always like to do fish less cycles using stability and always been successful doing so, always use live plants and prime, I do weekly water changes with my python , baffled with this 75 gallon tank , bought it used , got it home rinsed it out then cleaned with bleach as the lady said she wanted to sell it as her fish kept dying, I took this as she prob didn’t know what she was doing like not cycling the tank or water changes etc, so get the tank cleaned with bleach/water mix , rinsed thoroughly, filled with water test for leaks then drained it, built stand for it set it up, I have an ac 110 running it heater keeping at a constant 82 which is in range for barbs, planned to make it a tiger barb (species only) tank, gravel, live plants, driftwood, and rocks , lots hiding spots for them , ran the tank for three weeks dosing with stability to the T per the instructions , tank wouldn’t cycle, I have never had a tank not cycle after three weeks,I have cycled so many tanks, so figured well let’s put some fish in kick start this bad boy got 15 tiger barbs after a week no ammonia ….at all, I put one of my hob filters from my long time established tank in there for a week , i tested daily never saw ammonia go up, no nitrites , so now this thing been running for a month ammonia 0 nitrites 0 but nitrates are 5.0 well I figured maybe it cycled thanks to my established filter but didn’t notice cause nitrates are the last thing to go up, the ammonia first nitrites second then nitrates right? I never fully believed this insta cycle using established filter but maybe ? I don’t know, but my tiger barbs are kickin off left and right , no signs of disease , got plenty oxygen using power head facing surface an obviously the ac110 on the other side breaking the surface there, I feed twice a day quality omega one fresh water flakes and blood worms, gravel was new, filter was new , rocks were in an established tank with two healthy oscars and plants were from another established tank, what in gods green earth would be killing these guys off?! I thought maybe didn’t get all the bleach out? but couldn’t smell any and now it’s been a month , started water changes after added the fish three weeks Of running , anyone ever experience this? Did I add too many barbs at once ? Fish had no ich, fins are not clamped , no hole in head, there laying on there sides at bottom breathing fast or floating on side at top breathing fast , all the other bigger ones are fine not going to surface I know I got plenty gas air exchange ( oxygen) in the tank, sorry for the long post but I cannot figure this out and and lost a lot of money and fish over this , I am by no means a noob but we all have room to learn and improve , Amy advice or help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• 262C3DCC-BEA9-4EA4-ABFE-6932A7FB1C3B.jpeg
    262C3DCC-BEA9-4EA4-ABFE-6932A7FB1C3B.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 18
FishDin
The easiest thing to check is your testing, or specifically your test kit. Can you get your water tested by your LFS or other hobiest just as a sanity check. Test reagents and test strips do expire prematurely sometimes.

Do frequent water changes until you can sort it out.

Advertisement
Thesalient
I test daily since the problem arose, I use the api master freshwater test kit as it’s much more accurate than the test strips , this is the only way I test since I started in this hobby of which is well within its expiration date , I have also acquired a new one and tested water with it same results

jtjgg
how many died, how many are still alive?

where did you get them?

i'd chalk it up to poor stock or transport stress.

Thesalient
Bought 16 waited a week then bought 17 more 33 total I know that was too many to quick but was using stability to the t three weeks before added them ,used stress coat when added fish I have like 13 left most the colored ones died first the normal barbs lasted longer but lost few of them , purchased from pet smart , I inspected them before I did no ich or signs of disease swimming and healthy, even now they swim and are active and eat well, when got them home and added them they did not hide or act stressed they were active right off, I’ll will see how the rest do now that the population is not as big. Lemme now more thoughts thanks
Peep my sweet service cart I built for all my aquariums , once a week I go right around the room and do the maintenance

Attachments

• BA79642A-FAA9-49D0-AC76-9E353A2801A0.jpeg
    BA79642A-FAA9-49D0-AC76-9E353A2801A0.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 7
  • ED369831-2FE6-482A-BDBF-9F4D05D40648.jpeg
    ED369831-2FE6-482A-BDBF-9F4D05D40648.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 6
  • AAB8A334-AB30-41A6-97EE-B8A790554A4F.jpeg
    AAB8A334-AB30-41A6-97EE-B8A790554A4F.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 6
jtjgg
nice cart :)

keep testing the water and do weekly water changes.

maybe use an extra dose of Prime if you think there might be some residual bleach.

Noroomforshoe
Maybe the Tank is cursed!, sorry just kidding, sort of, maybe the previous owner added something? Maybe paint? Maybe the wrong silicone? Maybe a chemical that soaked into the silicone? Cause it sure sounds like you know what your doing, and tiger barbs should be very Hardy.

Thesalient
Thanks for the cart compliment , funny u said that as my wife said the same thing to it being cursed haha it’s aqueon tank and it’s the original silicone , what chemicals could have been used to leech into the silicone I don’t think too many things can do that in cured silicone, could be wrong, have another one dying frustrating and irritating I’ll do more frequent ware changes and double the dose of prime see how that goes, I am familiar with that process as well

Noroomforshoe
So sorry about your fish! I have no idea what chemical specifically, I was just brainstorming. maybe bug spray, maybe rat poison, maybe blue meth? I'm kind of leaning towards fish poltergeist.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Steve2905
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views
FishDin
  • Question
Replies