New 75 gallon set up!

1. B

Ben9375 New Member Member

After a frantic phone call from my wife last week at lunch time, as in "You HAVE to come home NOW, the fish tank is leaking!", this is now up and running.

This replaces my 44 gallon pentagon corner tank, which I had bought used back in 2007. It's the third time the 44 had started leaking and this time, I'm not redoing any seals.

A quick application of several hundred dollars, voila, new tank, stand, light, hood, canister filter, heater and I'm giving sand a try this time instead of gravel. The only thing recycled from the 44 is the ship wreck on the right, a few fake plants and the HOB filter which will come off the tank in a few days.

The residents of the 44 gallon tank are currently shacking up in my 20 gal, whose neon tetra population is taking a beating from the gold severum. My four Boesemani rainbows are busily chasing each other and the lonely opaline gourami....well, he's not looking so good these days. He's a very old fish and will not be surprised if he doesn't make the transition to the new tank.

Not sure what else I'll populate this new tank with. Definitely not neons from what's happened with that severum.

tank.jpg

2. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Very nice. 75 is a great set up. Good luck

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd just leave the neons out - they're not temp compatible with the Boesemani anyway. I'd get more Boesemani too! They'll fill out the 75 nicely and won't be eaten by the severum. If your severum is young, it might be worth getting another one.

Nice setup! I'm setting up a 44 gal pentagon soon. Hopefully mine has many years on it too!

4. OP
    OP
    B

No, no neons are going into the new tank. The Boesmani's have lived with the severum for a couple years now, I may add some other rainbows, maybe Irians or Praecox if I can get them.

The severum is really pretty calm and quite funny if you happen to be watching him. He's the biggest pig I've ever seen, if he sees you coming near the tank, comes right over to the glass hoping he's gonna get some food. In the other tank, I'd notice him laying on the bottom and think Oh no, he's dead, only to go investigate and he pops up starts swimming around. He tried to hide under some rocks when I was netting them out of the 44....on his side.

5. G

G0ne Fishin Valued Member Member

Aww, not I have tank envy! but its all good encourages me to keep trying to convince hubby bigger tank is better! Grats on your tank looks very nice!

6. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

yeah I'd up the boesemani to at least 6. Probably could do up to 8 comfortably. If you wanted another cichlid in there I would either do another severum and hope for a pair or a blood parrot who are often suggested as tank mates for severums.

You could also do some bottom dwellers like warm water cories or hoplo catfish. A lot of synos would work as well.

7. OP
    OP
    B

Last night's round of water tests indicated that all levels are right where there should be, no nitrates, no ammonia and pH was right around 7.6-7.8. I'm rather pleased with this. Also took a trip the the fish store (aptly named The Fish Place), which was fairly entertaining. For some reason, my kids (6 & 4) are terrified on any fish that is bigger than a swordtail.:;laughing

8. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

show them blood parrots. they are big but goofy looking. Most kids like them

9. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

A fully cycled tank should have some nitrates unless it's heavily planted