New 75 gallon cichlid tank suggestions

FishKingg

I have several tanks now all extremely planted set ups. I have messed around with serval dwarf cichlids but I am now I trested in two things a South American cichlids and an Oscar fish. I have seen a tank that had both with sevrums geophagus electric blue acara and even an Oscar. It was a really big tank which I can’t afford. I was wondering if I could do something similar with a 75 or 120 gallon. My questions are

how much and which filtration needed?

is this possible and if so how many

any more interesting stock options to switch or add?

any plants maybe?

and aggression is it a problem with these stockings if all male

TClare

Yes you could do South American cichlids in a 75 or 120. I would pick the more peaceful species like severum, geophagus, festivums,blue acara, Cichlasomas (eg amazonarum), Guianacara. I am not sure about the oscar, it might be too aggressive for the rest, though I know some people keep them with other SA cichlids, but I believe they are very messy and will rearrange the tank even more than the other species. The species selection and number of cichlids would depend on the tank size, and the species you select will determine which type of plants, if any, you can have, and what type of filtration.

FishKingg

I am leaning towards a 120 with an exact list haha of the fish u mentioned except the Cichlasomas which I have never heard of. I really like geophagus and the blue acara but if I didn’t go with the Oscar what would be the best combo of all the fish u mentioned except the Cichlasomas?
And would types of anubias and Java fern be fine with just several rocks.
also what would be a filter that would be overkill cuz I usually go that route :)

FishKingg

So I am now thinking for stocking ideas for my 75. I have a fx4 filter which I think will be enough. I would like to have a combo of three fish. geophagus tapajos, blue acara, and a serverum. Not sure how many of each just all male. Any ideas with this would be great. Maybe some type of pleco as well even some type of rams but I just seen this once. Any ideas and help would be great!

TClare

I would probably go with a small group of festivum and a group of Geophagus. The festivum keep near the top most of the time and the geos stay near the bottom. Both of these prefer to be in groups. You could probably have a severum (rokteil may be best as they don’t get so big) and maybe a blue acara too. But cichlids can be unpredictable and individual so you might have to be prepared to rehome any in case of any issues, particularly if the festivums pair up or if anyone of them becomes particularly aggressive.

I have read that severum and festivum will eat all the plants but mine have not eaten any as yet. I only have floating plants, vallisneria and java ferns in that tank, and my festivums are still small. Java ferns, anubias and floating plants are probably the best option for you as the Geophagus would probably uproot any that are planted in the substrate. There is a risk that any plants might get eaten, especially by the severum.

My large tank (about 152 gallons) has a canister filter rated at 1,100 litres (about 290 gallons) per hour. The outflow goes into a top filter that we built, with more filter material in, before returning to the tank. There is an additional top filter operated by a separate pump on the other side. But this tank is heavily planted and the only big fish are 6 large angelfish. For your tank with bigger fish that will make more mess, two canisters or a sump might be better.
The geos will like a fine sand substrate. Some rocks , caves and driftwood that extends up into the higher levels of the tank would be good If you have festivums as they would prefer some structure to hide in and swim amongst at the top of the tank.

FishKingg

So I am setting up a 75 gallon. I am planning to put some sort of 1 sevrum 7 geophagus tapajos 1 blue acara and maybe a green terror. I want other fish because I am using a fx6 canister so I don’t mind over stocking so anymore south cichlids would be great

A201

I usually over stock my tanks too, but in this case you've listed 10 fish that have potential maximum growth between five & ten inches.
A 75 gal would eventually look small with that stock list.
Maybe stick with a group of Geophagus, five or six YoYo Loaches & a group of big Tetras Btw welcome to Fishlore.

FishKingg

And if I where to set up a 120 gallon with the same stocking except for an Oscar over the green terror? Since the Oscar is a South American like the rest. I would be using 2 canisters one being an fx6. I would have guessed anyone would say I was reaching with the 75 haha but I was curious. I was prob gonna do a 120 anyway
And if I where to set up a 120 gallon with the same stocking except for an Oscar over the green terror? Since the Oscar is a South American like the rest. I would be using 2 canisters one being an fx6. I would have guessed anyone would say I was reaching with the 75 haha but I was curious. I was prob gonna do a 120 anyway

Azedenkae

It's not really about whether the oscar is central or south american, but other factors including 1. tank size, and 2. aggression. Oscars, green terrors, acaras can all be pretty aggressive, and geophagus tend to be less aggressive (towards other species).

So even if you go from a 75g to a 120g, it still may not work out. Not that people have not mixed cichlids with allegedly different temperaments with each other, just it is generally not advisable.

FishKingg

If I gave you a 75 gallon tank and you could only pick cichlids they can’t over grow the tank. It’s a 75 gallon for life. How many of each cichlid would you get.
(Preferably South American but u do u)

dasaltemelosguy

I have several tanks now all extremely planted set ups. I have messed around with serval dwarf cichlids but I am now I trested in two things a South American cichlids and an Oscar fish. I have seen a tank that had both with sevrums geophagus electric blue acara and even an Oscar. It was a really big tank which I can’t afford. I was wondering if I could do something similar with a 75 or 120 gallon. My questions are

how much and which filtration needed?

is this possible and if so how many

any more interesting stock options to switch or add?

any plants maybe?

and aggression is it a problem with these stockings if all male
I did exactly the same thing some years ago. A 75 is enough unless you get larger fishes. It's tight for an Oscar. It would probably work but all of mine got aggressive in a 75 until I moved them to 120's. I use riparian plants as they reduce nitrates to a staggering degree and the big guys don't tear them up. My largest Oscar will not allow any plants to stay rooted for long! And yes, fish like Oscars have a large bioload so the filter may need to be larger than you'd think.

(My Pacu/Oscar tank requires two FX6's to maintain the cycle!)

I too would go with SA's vs Africans due to the African's aggression and overcrowding often needed with Africans to control their aggression (And the hyper-filtration required to support the overcrowding). Severums and EBA's are gorgeous, hardy and relatively docile. Oscars are iffy. I have 4. Three were peaceful but one 'think's he's a piranha' and is in a 300G tank with huge pacu's as he attack's any other large fish (he tends to ignore smaller fish-'no threat' I assume) and these guys are twice his size! He still tormented them for days despite their size (14"+ at present!) until he got used to their inevitability! I prefer more peaceful types for stress control (the fishes and mine!) and there's many good suggestions I see here already.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 24

TClare

Just to clarify, the suggestions I made above were for a 120g tank, as at that time I thought that was what you were deciding on.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AverageApe22
Replies
Views
MikeRad89
Replies
Views
stevieb246
Replies
Views