New 75 gal set up! Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Jenbug0901, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Jenbug0901

Jenbug0901 Valued Member Member

I'm setting up a 75 gal freshwater tank for my electric blue jack dempsey and common plecco. I have a couple mystery snails to add but have no clue what else I should put in. I've learned that my LFS has no clue what's compatible and what isn't so I figured I'd ask people with experience. Any one have recommendations on what would go well in a tank with my EBJD and Pleco? I believe I'm going to use sand instead of gravel and I'm bouncing around the idea of live plants. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

2. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

I think you could add a pair of Acara or a single Green Terror. Oscar, Severum and those bigger SA Cichlids would have you overstocked with the Common Pleco, which by the way I believe will get too big for a 75 gallon. They can get over 24 inches if they aren't stunted.

3. OP
    OP
    Jenbug0901

Thanks, I'll look those up! My plan for the pleco is that each time he outgrows a tank, I have to get a bigger newer one for him! (This is the excuse I'll tell the hubby anyway!) ;)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  4. OP
    OP
    Jenbug0901

So I'm guessing I should just set it up as a cichlid tank since not much else is compatible with my dempsey. Any thoughts on plants or other aqua-scaping?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice