New 65gal Cycle

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jdfems422, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Jdfems422New MemberMember

Have been doing a no fish new cycle on my 65 gallon tank. Have a 100gal canister filter as well as a 3 inch airstone. Has been cycling for about 6 weeks, all levels look great, confirmed at LFS on Sat. I'm wanting to do Dwarf Cichlids (or some other multi-color breed). We previously had a single Cichlid in it (long story short..we didn't know he was a Jaguar when we purcgased him (learned VERY quickly) and had to re home him after he killed his tank mates and grew to about 10 inches.) Just curious about other breeds that are as beautiful as Cichlids and creating a proper landscape for them that won't break the bank. The current substrate is about 1.5" regular gravel and as the tank is already established, I'd hate to have to drain the tank to change it to sand if we choose to go with Cichlids...

2. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

3. Florian PelletWell Known MemberMember

Killifish are really diverse and colorful. If you're looking for something else than dwarf cichlids they could be a great option. Plus they're quite peaceful (AFAIK) so as long as you're not looking to keep shrimps you could keep other species with them.

4. Jdfems422New MemberMember

My concerns with Kilifish are the annual lifespan...can it be lengthened?

5. Florian PelletWell Known MemberMember

Not all killis are annual. But for those that are, no you cannot lengthen it

6. Jdfems422New MemberMember

Well..that is good to know...

7. Jdfems422New MemberMember

I have actually decided to go with apistos...I like that some types mate for life and most breeds are super colorful...I'm just trying to read bit by bit and not get overwhelmed...when it comes to stocking, I was thinking of doing 2 or 3 pairs of different breeds and see if they pair off ..are some better suited to pairing as opposed to a "harem" format?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice