New 65 Gallon Tank - Should I Add Anything Else?

Susiefoo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have upgraded to a 4 foot 65 gallon tank (48 inch length x 16 inch width x 20 inch height). I combined my previous two smaller tanks so the current stock is:

- 10 harlequin rasboras
- 11 neon tetras
- 6 albino corydoras
- 1 dwarf gourami

And a little horned nerite.

I will let them all settle into their new home and make sure water parameters stay stable of course. But just wondering if this seems like a decent full stock for the new size tank, or whether I could/should add anything - and if so, some ideas as to what!

Greg F

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have space but I wonder if you should add additional species , especially given the mid and top water schools you already have. Your cory's would appreciate a few more stablemates and adding a pair of bolivian rams would easily work.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Congrats on the new tank! I'd definitely double the aeneus cory shoal or add a shoal of a different cory species. Along with a pair of bolivian rams as suggested above, what about a rubberlip pleco?

ParrotCichlid

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Susiefoo said:
I have upgraded to a 4 foot 65 gallon tank (48 inch length x 16 inch width x 20 inch height). I combined my previous two smaller tanks so the current stock is:

- 10 harlequin rasboras
- 11 neon tetras
- 6 albino corydoras
- 1 dwarf gourami

And a little horned nerite.

I will let them all settle into their new home and make sure water parameters stay stable of course. But just wondering if this seems like a decent full stock for the new size tank, or whether I could/should add anything - and if so, some ideas as to what!
Plenty of space left for stocking.

I would add a shoal of Rainbow fish, they really fill in the space well.

Greg F

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with the pleco idea too!

OP
Susiefoo

Susiefoo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ooh thanks everyone! Great to hear I have some space to work with. I'm keen to keep the stock on the lighter side so might go with a few more cories to begin with (maybe bronze aeneus for variety but so they could still all "play" together), and see what happens. I love the Bolivian rams idea.

I've never really "got" plecos - they seem to be really popular so clearly there is some attraction - maybe I should try one to find out

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd get the BN pleco. They are very cute to watch, IME. You could do:

14 harlequin rasboras
14 neon tetras
1 dwarf gourami
12-14 bronze/albino cories
1 BN pleco
1 bolivian ram

OP
Susiefoo

Susiefoo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks aquatic keeper! I don't know much about Bolivian rams - are they better off alone or in pairs/ something else?

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They can be kept alone, and can also be kept in twos. If you decide to keep two, 1M/1F and 2F would work.

New Threads