New 60L (16G) Fluval Spec

EAWT

Please can you let me know whether you think this is going to work well and cycle the tank properly (and ideally quickly)?

I have a new 60 litre fluval spec. I have used new aquarium gravel and aquarium sand for the substrate. I plan to plant the tank, so also added Pro Flora Florapol and Microbe-lift substrate cleaner to the gravel, before covering with sand and filling with water. I set it all up today and have used Seachem Prime to treat my tap water. I've also added API quick start and two pure aquarium bio balls. To further speed up the cycling I've added some established media to the back filtration area that my local fish store provided me. Once the sand has settled I'm going to transfer over some plants and accessories from my other existing tank. I'll also give my old tanks sponge a good squeeze in the new tank water. I've also added some flake fish food into the tank to introduce ammonia.

Am I on the right track? I've turned the heater on to 25C (it will be a freshwater tropical tank) and the pump is on but pointed at the surface. I appreciate this may make the sand settle slower, but since it's not cycled this isn't a big deal (right?).

The tank is currently VERY cloudy, but I'm hoping it will settle... I have an API master test kit so will keep an eye on numbers, but I'm only a few months into the hobby so I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. I did a fish-in-cycle last time and it was very stressful for all involved. Even though everyone survived, I'd rather not do that again!

Thanks for your advice!

BigManAquatics

I think it will help a lot. Just make sure you have an ammonia source, whether its ghost feeding or pure ammonia.

Upvote 0

EAWT

thanks Betta'sAnonymous how much fish food do you suggest I put in to get it going? It's a 60L and I have tropical fish flakes

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I would probably start with an amount of what you might normally feed.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Celestialpearl
Replies
Views
JeremyW
Replies
Views
StarGirl