New 60g Marineland Heartland Tank :)

1. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Hello Fishlore, it's been awhile, but I am finally actually getting a new tank! It will most likely be the 60g Marineland unless I can find a 75g on Craigslist, but I'm not seeing any good deals. Anyways, I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Since I am painting, I will be needing to move all of the fish out of the room, which will be a bit of a hassle. I will be moving my 6 narrow wedge rasboras and my honey gourami into an empty 10g in my kitchen until I get the new tank. I know this is a tight fit, but I will be using the same filter that is on the 20g, so the fish will hopefully be fine for a few days. Then the 20g is being torn down (yet another incentive for taking it down is it has a pest snail infestation that won't go away).

Then once my room is painted, I need to set up the 60g, and move all my fish back into my room. Then I get to paint the kitchen...'Tis the life of a child who needs to bribe their parents for the new 60g tank they wanted.

The new 60g will have an AquaClear 50 and 70 (too much or too little?), a 100 and 200 watt heater, and the terrible lighting it comes with until I can afford something nice.

Anyways, I have a couple questions. First, what stock would you suggest to go with a honey gourami and/or the narrow wedge rasboras? I might be keeping the rasboras in the 10g if I wanted to have an Angel, would they be fine in the 10g? The dimensions are 48Lx12Wx25H.

Also, are there any flaws with my plan? I thought it all up in my excitement of getting a new tank, I just want to make sure everything will be good.

Last question, anybody have any tips for painting? I have no idea what I'm doing lol :)

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Painting tips...don't do it. I hate it. But if you are going to do it then tape off the corners so you don't get paint all over the ceiling and cabines

As far as filtration that is probably fine. You have about 8.5 x filtration. I like to have 10 x filtration so I'd probably do two 70's but a 50 and 70 would be ok.

I think your rasboras would be fine with an angel. Same goes for the honey gourami. Keep in mind the temp will need to stay at around 79 or 80. I'd go for a pair of angels, maybe a pair or 4 or 5 of electric blue/gold/german blue rams. Most dwarf cichlids would be fine though. You could also do a medium sized cichlid if you only did a pair of dwarf cichlids like rainbow, sajica, bandit, cupid, or maybe even a firemouth. I'd up the rasboras to 10 at least and either do another school of fish or up the rasboras to 15 or more. For bottom dwellers I'd consider synodontis lucipinnis, sterbai cory or kuhli loaches.

Sounds like a beautiful tank.

3. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Hah I wish I didn't have to, but otherwise I don't get the tank and I'm stuck with an apple green room color.

I think I will definitely up the rasboras, and I plan on a big group of sterbai corys if I can find them where they're not $10 each. I think I'm only gonna do one Angel because I cannot afford a proven pair, nor could I afford to buy 5-6 babies and have some pair up. With a stock of 1 Angel, 12 Narrow Wedge Rasboras, and 10 Sterbai corys, how full would my tank be? After that, I'll probably just look around the store and find some apistos/other smallish fish that won't attack anybody.

Thanks for the fish suggestions, and I would do 2 Aquaclear 70's, but I already have the 50 for my 20g, so I'm just moving it up.

4. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Are your gourami coming over as well?

I think that is a fine stock. I still think you'd have room for some other things. If you are going for something peaceful, you could try a single or pair of keyhole cichlids. Bigger than the apisto's but still peaceful. I think rams would do well as well.